Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #3,451 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good news -- I really like his M2 and M6, and the sound is spectacular.

Now, to another matter...a friend recently took a trip home to Osaka, Japan to see his parents. While there, he happened upon the Osaka Orchestra, Eije Oue conducting a performance of the Mahler 5th. Given his outstanding recordings of M6 and Das Lied, Nobi was expecting something equally terrific. Alas, it was not. While the orchestra played superbly, the conducting was deathly dull, uninspired, and just not what it should have been. He was quite disappointed. The only good thing is that I finally got my own original copy of the 6th.

You know, there are videos of Oue conducting the M5 with the Orqesta Sinfonica Barcelona on Youtube which don't sound so badly, if on the slow side. Hearing negative reviews about his recording of the M5 is a major disappointment. Listen and judge for yourself!

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #3,452 of 3,718
Quote:

That's good news -- I really like his M2 and M6, and the sound is spectacular.

Now, to another matter...a friend recently took a trip home to Osaka, Japan to see his parents. While there, he happened upon the Osaka Orchestra, Eije Oue conducting a performance of the Mahler 5th. Given his outstanding recordings of M6 and Das Lied, Nobi was expecting something equally terrific. Alas, it was not. While the orchestra played superbly, the conducting was deathly dull, uninspired, and just not what it should have been. He was quite disappointed. The only good thing is that I finally got my own original copy of the 6th.

Just checking, but I just realized that your friend caught a live concert. Duh. I was looking for a recording of the M5 by Oue and couldn't find any hint of one, aside from the Youtube videos, which aren't that bad. I suppose it was Oue's famous inconsistency that was the kiss of death in Minnesota, which has since recovered under the baton of Vänskä.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #3,455 of 3,718
Quote:

Yes, I can't wait for this one either. Only one quibble: it's such a short-timed disk. They couldn't put Kindertotenlieder or Songs of a Wayfarer? Oh, well.

Yes, it is a pity, but I'd rather have the symphony as is than not at all. I wouldn't have minded a work by another composer either. Gielen's original recordings of Mahler had wonderful pairings.

It's too bad they couldn't have put one of the pieces they use as an encore on the cd. Of all the orchestras I've seen in concert, the BFO is the most fun.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #3,457 of 3,718
Last night I picked up Maazel/VPO of Mahler's 5th, for $4, new.
I expected to be pleased, but what I came away with was the best experience I have ever been bewitched with any 5th I have heard (even the Jansons/RCO live I attended). The playing of the Vienna Philharmonic under Maazel is breathtaking, teasing out every inch of the tone palette Mahler makes use of. Besides being analytical, the literal approach reveals some intense drama, a frenzy, constant anxiety.

I am now seriously considering getting the entire Maazel/VPO cycle. The clear sonics do not make it any easier on deciding against it.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #3,458 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I picked up Maazel/VPO of Mahler's 5th, for $4, new.
I expected to be pleased, but what I came away with was the best experience I have ever been bewitched with any 5th I have heard (even the Jansons/RCO live I attended). The playing of the Vienna Philharmonic under Maazel is breathtaking, teasing out every inch of the tone palette Mahler makes use of. Besides being analytical, the literal approach reveals some intense drama, a frenzy, constant anxiety.

I am now seriously considering getting the entire Maazel/VPO cycle. The clear sonics do not make it any easier on deciding against it.

I was once blown away by Chailly's 5th, I'll haven't heard Maazel's though.
I think I will give it a try, cause I really liked Maazel's R. Strauss..
I'm a big fan of Jansons's Shostakovich Symphonies box, esp. the 8th, which is my favorite!

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a high rank on my, way 2 long, wishlist
smile.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #3,459 of 3,718
Quinto, if you really love Mahler's 8th try Solti's version with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Bertini with the Cologne forces or may I even suggest Chailly. Tennstedt and Bernstein are fantastic, but these three conductors add something else to the 8th. I think you would love Chailly's 8th. I still need to pick up Rattle's 8th.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #3,460 of 3,718
Quote:

Quinto, if you really love Mahler's 8th try Solti's version with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Bertini with the Cologne forces or may I even suggest Chailly. Tennstedt and Bernstein are fantastic, but these three conductors add something else to the 8th. I think you would love Chailly's 8th. I still need to pick up Rattle's 8th.

You are right, I love Chailly's 8th and Solti's as well
biggrin.gif

I'm into Bernstein's these days cause I recently own the DVD and I love the lady singers
icon10.gif

Rattle 8th youth-orchestra is on my list list as well
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #3,461 of 3,718
Rejoice my fellow Mahlerites...........

51tKWrrM7PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Release date 4/14/09 for Bernstein's 90th anniverary complete set (from birthdate)

The most influential Mahler conductor of all time (in my opinion) will have a newly 2008 remastered version of his first NYPO set, expaned to 12 Cds including a "Mahler remembered" CD, still at budget price level of $69 retail, in a word WOW!

Of course it will be discounted on web, Arkiv selling for $54.99, it will be mine no doubt!
wink_face.gif

This new set replaces the old set:
31F5DD8JHYL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3,462 of 3,718
Quote:

Personally I found Rattle's 8th disappointing. Abbado's my favourite for that one.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #3,463 of 3,718
Great! would be interesting to know how the SQ is though,
great tip DarkAngel..

I have a softspot for Lenny, don't know why, I love his Haydn and Brahms as well..

pfff my wishlist is growing fast, I feel so darn greedy
darthsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #3,465 of 3,718
Thank you DA for that info (though I did get an e-mail notification from Arkiv
beyersmile.png
).

I am going to pass up on this however. I already have most of the Bernstein/NYPO recording of their Mahler cycle. I rather obtain other conductors cycle first (Maazel, Kubelik and Neumann in my mind). Plus I want to expand more into Shostakovich and Brahms!

lwd: I need to seriously get Abbado's 3rd and 8th. I heard fabulous things about Abbado's 3rd. His 7th and 9th are among my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back