Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jan 11, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #1,696 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
You are correct!

Btw, someone at another forum cited a Judd recording with the E.C. Youth Orchestra of Mahler's 9th (Regis) as worthy of a budget list of Mahler. Having never heard of such a recording, I wonder if you know anything about it?

The Judd 9th rings a bell, but I've never heard it. Probably read about it somewhere. Sounds interesting. I've heard some mighty fine youth orchestras before..

Yea, as for Sinopoli, whatever the opposite of Objectivist is, that's his Mahler. Though I've used the term "metaphysical" to decscribe his 6th.. I'm going to have to pester an old friend about hearing this one again
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't seen him around these parts in a while...

-jar

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #1,697 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Instead of the Bernstein DVD set, get the CD set on Sony with NYPO, great place to start.

Thanks for the Rec, Scott.

Since my last post, I actually read that thread back from the start (ok only up to page 11...) and I think i will go down the road of the Mix'n'Match, trying to find a starting kit with a compromise in terms of recs, diversity, price and availibility (amazon.co.uk for me). I probably won't buy it all in one go but i just want to define a list to start from and stick to.

So far, I list in the basket :

#1 - Kubelik
#2 - Klemperer
#3 - Rattle
#4 - Szell
#5 - Barbirolli
#6 - Abbado (SACD not marked Hybrid - but would that play on normal CD player ?)
#7 - Halasz
#8 - Solti
#9 - Ancerl
#10- Rattle

How does that look for starters ?

Papy

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #1,698 of 3,718
Man, this is a huge thread!

I've read most of it (I think) but haven't come across anyone mentioning the Mahler 2nd that was recorded with Abbado and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra. I borrowed it from the local library and was pleasantly astounded by the recording quality. A very nice 2nd! And the coupling with Debussey's La Mer is immaculate. One of the best I've heard. I'll be picking up a copy for my collection.

attachment.php

DarkAngel: okay, who's the man baby, you or the avatar? I'm tired of wondering! (and damnit if it's the avatar!)
eek.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #1,699 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLDS
Man, this is a huge thread!

I've read most of it (I think) but haven't come across anyone mentioning the Mahler 2nd that was recorded with Abbado and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra. I borrowed it from the local library and was pleasantly astounded by the recording quality. A very nice 2nd! And the coupling with Debussey's La Mer is immaculate. One of the best I've heard. I'll be picking up a copy for my collection.

attachment.php

DarkAngel: okay, who's the man baby, you or the avatar? I'm tired of wondering! (and damnit if it's the avatar!)
eek.gif

It was brought up at some point, it's excellent sound for a live recording, but there are much better performances available. I actually enjoy the Le Mer on it more than the Mahler.

Scott

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #1,700 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLDS
eek.gif

I am male, the woman whose effigy you gaze upon is sweet Lucretia, a servant of the dark lord.

We have discussed the live Abbado/Lucerne here and no one was super impressed, I do remember someone saying the DVD version has better sound balance making performance seem better overall. I say the best 2nd for Abbado is his 1977 CSO/DG version. It is sold as 2CD set with a weaker VPO 4th, but still reduced cost overall for Mahler 2nd makes it good deal.

Let's see where is my latest Mahler elite list, try one of these M2's

1)Bernstein/DG + Solti/LSO/Decca Legends + Kubelik/Audite + Gielen/Hanssler
2)Bernstein/Sony + Solti/CSO/London + Rattle/EMI + Mehta/Decca Legends + Litton/Delos + Kaplan/Conifer
3)Horenstein/Unicorn + Bernstein/Sony + Rattle/EMI + Barbirolli/BBC Legends + Boulez/DG
4)Szell/Sony + Renier/RCA + Inbal/Dennon + Bernstein/DG + Levine/RCA
5)Bernstein/DG + Kondrashin/Melodiya + Sinopoli/DG + Gatti/Musical Heritage + Barbirolli/EMI GROTC
6)Mitropoulos/EMI Great Conductors 20th + Kondrashin/Melodiya + Bernstein/Sony + Szell/Sony
7)Kondrashin/Melodiya + Bernstein/Sony + Solti/London + Kubelik/Audite + Abbado/CSO/DG
8)Solti/Decca Legends
9)Ancerl/Supraphon Gold + Kondrashin/Melodiya + Bernstein/Sony + Kubelik Audite + Karajan/DG (live)

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #1,701 of 3,718
Two more Mahler CDs just arrived:
Gielen/Hanssler M2
Gielen/hanssler M7

Still waiting for arrival of complete Sinopoli/DG and Kubelik/DG sets....

Also just listened to Levine/CSO/RCA M4 and was very impressed, has just made it into elite list above. Sound quality is very vivid and hyper detailed. Whoever first mentioned that CD good find!

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #1,702 of 3,718
DA,

Jar mentioned the Levine M5, but I when I picked that up that I also got the Levine M4, and I agree with you on the quality. I don't know if I mentioned it or not but it has been mentioned in these pages.

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #1,703 of 3,718
DA,

Jar mentioned the Levine M5, but I when I picked that up that I also got the Levine M4, and I agree with you on the quality. I don't know if I mentioned it or not but it has been mentioned in these pages.

Btw, did you ever pick up the Gielen M1 from yourmusic?

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #1,704 of 3,718
Bunny got a doublepost, isn't that good luck or something?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #1,706 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Bunny got a doublepost, isn't that good luck or something?
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it bad luck if I delete one of the posts? I really don't know how it happened as I only put it in once.
icon10.gif

Btw, Bertini boxed set arrived in the mail yesterday, late pm. I'll be doing some serious listening this week.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #1,707 of 3,718
Quote:

Is it bad luck if I delete one of the posts? I really don't know how it happened as I only put it in once.
icon10.gif

Btw, Bertini boxed set arrived in the mail yesterday, late pm. I'll be doing some serious listening this week.

Happens to most people if they are here long enough. Just a fluke of the interweb!
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, let us know what you think of the Bertini

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #1,708 of 3,718
Quote:

The Bertini set has just gone on sale here, too, for around USD$68.00. Is that on par with the going price in the US? I have the 5, 8 and DLvE on the orginal EMI issues and they probably have the most natural recorded sound in my Mahler collection. My understanding is that the new integral box contains Japanese remasterings which should out do the already very good older versions in sheer sound quality. I, however, find its common pattern of dividing many symphonies between discs something of an irritation.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #1,709 of 3,718
Scott,

I'll just leave the post as is. Too much trouble to go back and delete!
smily_headphones1.gif

Masolino,

Hi!! I ordered the Bertini through amazon canada as the price was about $20 less than the price to preorder at amazon.com (usa). At Amazon.com price is $72, but partners have it for about $50 which is around what I paid at amazon canada. Shipping was about the same.

Yes, they have divided many of the symphonies awkwardly as with most boxed sets. The Gielen boxed set actually starts the 3rd on the disc with the end of the 2nd which is divided between the Urlicht and 5th movement -- extremely awkward! In fact, I emailed David Hurwitz to complain that he had said nothing about it in his review and he told me that he just burned a copy of that symphony with the break between the first movement on one cd and the rest on the second cd. He also said that it was such a minor thing as no one complained when they had to change an LP the way they do when it comes to changing a cd. Ofcourse with advances in technology that remark is far off the mark. Hännsler also has the cds packaged in glassine lined paper sheathes (very cheap -- looks like a small step above the envelopes you get at the post office for sheets of stamps). I don't know how they can in conscience charge what they do for that boxed set, except that prices seem to be determined by the number of cds it takes to compose them.

The breaks in the Gielen set are as follows
CD 1 has M1 complete
CD 2 has M2 I-IV
CD 3 has M2 V, M3 I
CD 4 has M3 II-VI
CD 5 has M4 complete,
CD 6 has M5 complete
CD 7 has M6, I-III
CD 8 has M6 IV
CD9 has M7 complete
CD 10 has M8 part 1
CD 11 has M8 part 2
CD 12 has M9 I-III
CD 13 has M9 IV and Adagio from M10 (recently released separately to the obligatory 10/10 from our esteemed Mr. Hurwitz
rolleyes.gif
)

The Bertini set is a much more beautifully packaged set! Beautiful cardboard cd sleeves with a lovely sepia toned photo of the composer on them which shades into reddish brown as the cds progress from no. 1 to No. 11, which is a rich brick tone. I only wish they had spent as much thought on the breaks as they did on the package. The first cd has symphony no. 1 and the first movement of the 2nd on it so that Mahler's directions are followed! It is the most sensible way to do this and EMI is to be congratulated on that, although I imagine it was just by accident of timing. The rest of the breaks are not as felicitous. Here is the breakdown:

CD 1 M1, M2 I
CD 2 M2 II-V
CD 3 M3 I-IV
CD 4 M3 V-VI; M4 I-III
CD 5 M4 IV; M5
CD 6 M7
CD 7 M6 I-III
CD 8 M6 IV; M9 I-II
CD 9 M9 III-IV; M10 Adagio
CD 10 M8
CD 11 Das Lied von der Erde

Now, if I have some time later this afternoon I'll start listening to the set, probably starting with the M6 in order to compare it with the Oué which I have been giving a lot of playtime to.

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #1,710 of 3,718
One thing I love about having an ipod/mp3 player. Doesn't matter how they were packaged, you can just make a playlist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back