Mahler Sym #2, EMI-Klemperer, Orchestra seating question
Dec 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now there's a name that has been largely forgotten. I sent an editorial comment to Gramophone this month after reading their Mahler 8 run down. Morris's wasn't listed, probably because it hasn't appeared on cd and that's a shame. I wish someone would put all of his Mahler together in a box set. His 8th was superb. Powerful and exciting. Better sound than Solti, too.

While Morris's Mahler 8 is no longer available, his Mahler 10th is available and it's packaged with the Mahler 8th of Edward Flipse and the Rotterdam PO. It's really a pity that his Mahler recordings were allowed to go out of print. Perhaps we should all write into Arkivmusic to request that they re-issue them.

41MHYWN6CTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 17
I have that 10th, and the LPs from 74 or whenever it was. The booklet with the LPs is spectacular. You don't see that kind of stuff anymore. When I eliminated the LP collection, I did keep all of Morris's Mahler: M1 in the original version, M2 is a spacious, monumental awe-inspiring version, the 8th and 10th, and his Des Knaben Wunderhorn which was on a Nimbus cd. Morris and Horenstein: two British conductors without their own orchestras, dedicated to getting Mahler out before the public. Gotta love 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back