Magni2 Uber vs Vali (HD598)
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #16 of 25
Think the Magni 2 in low gain setting would be just the ticket for your 598's. I love tubes too, but I also love an inky black, quiet background, which the Magni 2 will give you ( in low gain).

The Magni 2 does not have a low/high gain setting, the Magni 2 Uber does :)

In response to the OPs question, the Vali will run a bit too hot for the HD598's being a lower impedance headphone. The noise floor would be quite high which is why I can see people complaining about it (not a surprise although I haven't tried the Vali/598 combo myself). Your best bet would be the Magni 2 Uber or even the Magni 2 would be great for your headphones!

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 25
I respectfully beg to differ! I just GOT a Magni 2, and I can assure you it DOES have a low gain setting (3db), which has made this thing a MUCH more useful amp.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 25

The Magni 2 does not have a low/high gain setting, the Magni 2 Uber does :)

In response to the OPs question, the Vali will run a bit too hot for the HD598's being a lower impedance headphone. The noise floor would be quite high which is why I can see people complaining about it (not a surprise although I haven't tried the Vali/598 combo myself). Your best bet would be the Magni 2 Uber or even the Magni 2 would be great for your headphones!

I have the Vali and the HD598s and I have experienced none of the problems you describe. The Vali and HD598s are my go-to setup for classical music. The gain is totally acceptable and the noise floor is imperceptible to me.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #20 of 25
  I have the Vali and the HD598s and I have experienced none of the problems you describe. The Vali and HD598s are my go-to setup for classical music. The gain is totally acceptable and the noise floor is imperceptible to me.

Thanks for the clarification.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 25
To the OP: What did you decide? I am in the same boat. I have HD598 and considering Magni/Modi-2 (or Uber)

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 25
  I read that the Vali is too "smooth and warm" and that the Magni2Uber is "super accurate, detailed and punchy"

Smooth and warm sounds better to me, but apparently the Magni2 Uber is supposed to make it sound the way the artist meant it to...

I,m using the Modi/Vali,with my Hd600,and a few other headphones as well.
I would call the SQ-neutral,not overly warm,with good detail,clarity.

Mike

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #23 of 25
Hi!

I have the Asgard, Modi, Modi2Uber, Magni2Uber and had the Vali and Valhalla. 

The Vali was less versatile due to the higher output impedance - so I sold it and kept Asgard which I now replaced with the Magni2Uber.

Asgard and any version of the Magni sound fab with the HD598.

Cheers,
K

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #24 of 25
I own the Modi2U, Magni2U, Vali and Wyrd. If I were put in your shoes my pick will be the MM2U stack, simply because the Vali runs quite a bit hotter and will not work well with sensitive IEMs. In terms of how they sound, from my experience they are almost identical. I don't consider myself to have golden ears I just enjoy great music.

If I absolutely had to name any differences, they are that the Vali "might" seem to have more slam, while the Magni 2U goes louder at maximum volume. Either way these are all spectacular sounding pieces of gear :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #25 of 25
I did pull the trigger on Magni2/Modi2 Uber. On the HD598, compared to the portable DAC/AMP - Fiio 07K Andes, I noticed improvement in the areas of resolution, imaging, soundstage and impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back