Magni Uber 2 vs Vali vs Asgaurd?
Jan 7, 2015 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm thinking about pairing this with the Modi 2 uber, the Bifrost is just to much money especially with the USB option. Now I remember from the reviews that the Bifrost was a lot better, but this is the Modi 2 and the modi 2 uber.

Now with the amps both Inner-fidelity and Headfonia liked the Asgard better than the more expensive units but I haven't heard anything about the Magni 2 uber or that Vali, the Vali's tube and the Asgard sounds like its tube so idk.

Will the vali stack with the modi or just the magni? The asgard I would probably just throw the modi on top of it.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes , the Vali will stack with the Modi as they are the same size. As for the new Modi 2 uber, it is so new that there aren't any reviews or comparisons yet. I just ordered the magni 2 uber, Modi 2 uber, and Vali. I will do a comparison and post my impressions.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 14
The only conditions I would get an Asgard 2 over a Magni 2 Uber would be if I wanted/needed the Bifrost, OR is Asgard sounded a lot better than MA2U (which I'm not so sure of). Bifrost is an easy sell, though. Even though MO2U is described as a "mini Bifrost", you cannot upgrade it. So if Schiit comes up with a better Modi implementation, they would sell it as a MO3U, and you'd have to buy a whole new DAC. If Bifrost gets a better analog stage, they'll sell you an upgrade card instead (which is what they did with the current Uber upgrade {and the USB upgrade}).

Now quick nit-pick on finishes. The brushed aluminum is gorgeous, and it will stick out if you pair a MO2U with a Vali, which has powdercoated steel (IIRC). I already had a Modi Optical, but I got the MO2U so that the finish would match with my MA2U...maybe you aren't as neurotic as me.

Now aside from finishes, I can say that the Magni 2 Uber is fantastic. I haven't had a lot of time to compare it to my Valhalla (which was my preferred amp for the HD600), but I can say that Magni 1 was still "good", even with the high impedance, and MA2U is even better (I've been using high gain). Vali might be nice to get a taste of tubes, but if you're just looking for a solid amp that you could use with anything, I think MA2U is the way to go.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Yes , the Vali will stack with the Modi as they are the same size. As for the new Modi 2 uber, it is so new that there aren't any reviews or comparisons yet. I just ordered the magni 2 uber, Modi 2 uber, and Vali. I will do a comparison and post my impressions.

Ahhh sweet, let me know. I was thinking about getting all those along with the Asgard and using there 15day return policy and the price came to exactly $666.00 lol.

The only conditions I would get an Asgard 2 over a Magni 2 Uber would be if I wanted/needed the Bifrost, OR is Asgard sounded a lot better than MA2U (which I'm not so sure of). Bifrost is an easy sell, though. Even though MO2U is described as a "mini Bifrost", you cannot upgrade it. So if Schiit comes up with a better Modi implementation, they would sell it as a MO3U, and you'd have to buy a whole new DAC. If Bifrost gets a better analog stage, they'll sell you an upgrade card instead (which is what they did with the current Uber upgrade {and the USB upgrade}).

Now quick nit-pick on finishes. The brushed aluminum is gorgeous, and it will stick out if you pair a MO2U with a Vali, which has powdercoated steel (IIRC). I already had a Modi Optical, but I got the MO2U so that the finish would match with my MA2U...maybe you aren't as neurotic as me.

Now aside from finishes, I can say that the Magni 2 Uber is fantastic. I haven't had a lot of time to compare it to my Valhalla (which was my preferred amp for the HD600), but I can say that Magni 1 was still "good", even with the high impedance, and MA2U is even better (I've been using high gain). Vali might be nice to get a taste of tubes, but if you're just looking for a solid amp that you could use with anything, I think MA2U is the way to go.

My main issue is the $100 USB card.... my Mac only does 24/96 over optical so I would need that. Do all these devices need there own wall plug or can you use only 1 for the DAC and amp, or does the DAC run off USB power?

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 14
I have a Magni, which I used with my HD580s.When I got the HD800s I bought an Asgard 2. I did some basic switching back and forth, nothing level matched, and really was not sure I could hear any difference. My guess was the Asgard was more firm in the bass on both phones but I would not put money on it. What is better on the Asgard is the volume pot, very smooth and no static when adjusted, unlike on the Magni. My Magni will be in the classified soon if anyone is interested.

Tim

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 14
Only the USB Modis are USB powered. Anything else that comes in Modi's size requires a wall wart. Everything in a larger chassis uses a basic power cord.

So from reading there website, the Modi runs on USB power but the Uber doesn't? I wanted the Uber so I guess I might as well get the Bifrost if I am going to have 2 plugs either way...

I have a Magni, which I used with my HD580s.When I got the HD800s I bought an Asgard 2. I did some basic switching back and forth, nothing level matched, and really was not sure I could hear any difference. My guess was the Asgard was more firm in the bass on both phones but I would not put money on it. What is better on the Asgard is the volume pot, very smooth and no static when adjusted, unlike on the Magni. My Magni will be in the classified soon if anyone is interested.

Tim

Really? They work fine? Most stuff I have read says you need a $500+ amo or an OTL to use on them. Speaking of that I may be getting a pair of HD600/650/700's soon and I want an OTL amp, I'm thinking of the Schiit Valhalla so Ill have a Bifrost, Asgard, Valhalla stack with the Valhalla on top obviously, but as an OTL amp it only has an output impedance of 14 ohm where as the Bottlehead Crack and such are over 100, its still way higher tan the <1 ohm of Schiits other amps but I'm wondering if it will still work good with the 300 ohm Sennheisers and 250/600 ohm beyers.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 14
  So from reading there website, the Modi runs on USB power but the Uber doesn't? I wanted the Uber so I guess I might as well get the Bifrost if I am going to have 2 plugs either way...

Really? They work fine? Most stuff I have read says you need a $500+ amo or an OTL to use on them. Speaking of that I may be getting a pair of HD600/650/700's soon and I want an OTL amp, I'm thinking of the Schiit Valhalla so Ill have a Bifrost, Asgard, Valhalla stack with the Valhalla on top obviously, but as an OTL amp it only has an output impedance of 14 ohm where as the Bottlehead Crack and such are over 100, its still way higher tan the <1 ohm of Schiits other amps but I'm wondering if it will still work good with the 300 ohm Sennheisers and 250/600 ohm beyers.

I know double blind talk is verboten here but I really don't believe amps sound different. As long as they are suited to the load, have flat frequency response, low distortion, etc. Many of the tube amps do not meet those standards it would appear. Plus, as we all have heard, people will nearly always hear a difference when comparing any two devices. Even when no switching actually takes place. My HD800s with the Asgard 2 display no sibilance and, while bright in an open way, are not harsh unless the recording leans that way.

Tim

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 14
Idk I think people just get sick of hearing it. Its easy to say and a lot harder to set up a double blind test and then invite them to is, especially with headphones, amps and speakers I could see but headphones you would feel them on ur head.

I think amps sound different, all you have to do is a get a amp with a socketed op amp and op amp roll.

But anyway I have been looking for an OTL amp under $500 and don't feel like building a bottle head, but I might still get one but I really like the looks of the valhalla but when most people talk about OTL tube amps they are 100+ ohm output impedence, not 14 like the valhalla

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 14
  Idk I think people just get sick of hearing it. Its easy to say and a lot harder to set up a double blind test and then invite them to is, especially with headphones, amps and speakers I could see but headphones you would feel them on ur head.

I think amps sound different, all you have to do is a get a amp with a socketed op amp and op amp roll.

But anyway I have been looking for an OTL amp under $500 and don't feel like building a bottle head, but I might still get one but I really like the looks of the valhalla but when most people talk about OTL tube amps they are 100+ ohm output impedence, not 14 like the valhalla

Yeah I hear you. I feel the same when people claim to hear audible differences in EVERYTHING. After a while, I trust in the science and don't bother with cable sound and most well designed electronics. Speakers, headphones and recordings have huge audible differences. With speakers, rooms have a tremendous effect on the results. Even moving your head makes a change which can be measured. With all that, I'll trust the other stuff gets lost in the weeds and spend my time, and money, where it counts: good speakers, good headphones, decent recordings and sensible room treatments.

Tim

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 14

Yeah I hear you. I feel the same when people claim to hear audible differences in EVERYTHING. After a while, I trust in the science and don't bother with cable sound and most well designed electronics. Speakers, headphones and recordings have huge audible differences. With speakers, rooms have a tremendous effect on the results. Even moving your head makes a change which can be measured. With all that, I'll trust the other stuff gets lost in the weeds and spend my time, and money, where it counts: good speakers, good headphones, decent recordings and sensible room treatments.

Tim

idk alot of people claim differences in cables and multiple people hear the same thing but I'm pretty sure cans position on your head makes 10X the difference. I hate when someone says you need a $1500 amp to make $1500 headphones sound good, but everyone seems to like the crack

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #14 of 14
I have 3.
Noise: Magni2u>Asgard2>Vali2
Naturalness:Asgard2>Magni2u>Vali2
Warm:Asgard2>Vali2>Magni2u
Impact:Magni2u>Asgard2>Vali2
I use them with a ba-driver iem and LCD-2. Vali 2 paired with the Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH. I think i like the Asgard the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back