Magni/Modi/HD-650 next upgrade?
Oct 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BatteryPowered

New Head-Fier
I've had Magni/Modi/HD-650 combo for around 3 years. I am very satisfied with the combo, but around 6 months ago I got OPPO PM-3 for office (paired with Dragonfly Black) and was very surprised with how good PM-3s sounded (very tight bass, but narrow soundstage).

What is the next combo that will deliver perceivable difference? Are we talking about dropping around $3Gs or is there a set up for less that I am missing?

Thank you,

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 21
The LCD2 is a pretty logical step up from the 650 in every area but comfort, perhaps that as an upgrade!

Oct 15, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 21
That's what
The LCD2 is a pretty logical step up from the 650 in every area but comfort, perhaps that as an upgrade!
That seems to be a common path, but some people say that LCD-2 sound is not much better than properly driven HD-650. To top that off, I do agree that planar magnetic do have certain advantages over dynamic with my experience with PM-3. I'll try to listen to LCD-2 before settling on this path. I also want to upgrade my dac/amp, perhaps to multibit.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 21
That's what

That seems to be a common path, but some people say that LCD-2 sound is not much better than properly driven HD-650. To top that off, I do agree that planar magnetic do have certain advantages over dynamic with my experience with PM-3. I'll try to listen to LCD-2 before settling on this path. I also want to upgrade my dac/amp, perhaps to multibit.
I ran the 650 balanced out of a Jotununheim and lcd2 still smushed it. A better comparison might have been 650+Bottlehead Crack. Either way, the LCD2 sounds much better to me, the only question is if it was worth twice the amount of the 650

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 21
That's what

I own a pair of HD650, which I drive balanced from a Mjolnir 2/Gungnir stack (so power is definitely not an issue) and I have recently upgraded to the LCD-2, and I can tell you that the improvement is very noticeable.

Bass is deeper, punchier and more controlled + you get that planar transient response that makes it a total different beast from the dinosaur that the HD650 is. The only downside I see so far is a little bit less detail, although I only have about 100h on the LCD-2 so far.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 21
I think you should consider an Elear. Just outstanding...

They indeed sound very good, but the creaking noises it makes were a dealbreaker for me. They're very different from the HD650 also, so I guess it depends if OP wants to keep a similar sound profile or prefers to experiment with something else...

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 21
I don’t think the Elears are too far of from the 650’s in sound signature but yes different in tonality. No not the same as they sound very different but I think the response is close. I have a Amps and Sound Kenzie amp and still prefer the 650’s out of a Bottlehead Crack it is like it was made for them. If you like the planars then might look into the new Aeon opens. I have heard the closed version but by all accounts the open seem to be very good I have yet to hear them but someone I know that has them he also has a lot of the gear I have and he thinks they might be one of the best offerings from Mr Speakers to date pretty high praise.

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 21
To me, lcd2 is better in most aspects than the 650's but the 650's is close to Elear with a little different in tonality. The Elear has a better bass and treble extension and soundstage width. The 660S might decrease the gap margin between Elear and 650.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 21
I am looking for more separation/details/pop, with relatively neutral signature, aka improved PM-3 (which I like a lot).

Little history. I started with Grado SR-60 and was blown away by their sound signature, quickly moved on to SR-325 with a discrete sound card. Enjoyed that for a while, but could not stop there. That brought me to HD-650 with magni/modi stack, which yet again blew me away (mostly with vastly expanded soundstage and neutrality). I could not listen to Grado for more than an hour, because of pronounced highs.

About 6 months ago I got PM-3 with dragonfly as a compromise for office listening (can't use open cans). Unfortunately, I liked PM-3 a lot, mostly for amazingly responsive bass (what I call pop). IMHO HD-650 bass is a lot more washed out, as compared to PM-3. Of course, PM-3 have their limitations.

That brings me here, I want something like PM-3 but without compromises, specifically with same responsive bass, but better separation and expanded soundstage. I am not sure if I need whole new set up, or just headphones that can be driven by magni/modi.

So far, I am thinking of Asgard 2/Bifrost Multibit but can't figure out proper headphones.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 21
Well we all hear differently and you might have some terminology a bit different than I would call it . I think the 650’s have a very narrow soundstage . It does have good separation and detail but it lacks in soundstage to me. My HD-800’s the sound is expanded from where you hear it from the 650’s it is closer to your head if that makes sense to you. Not to be confused with stereo separation but the instruments are spaced out more in front of you and not so much in your face. Certain amps can increase or decrease that also not all. Washed out you probably mean speed as it is hard to beat planars in speed other than electrostats but they most of the time don’t bring the bass of a planar.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 21
I am looking for more separation/details/pop, with relatively neutral signature, aka improved PM-3 (which I like a lot).
Little history. I started with Grado SR-60 and was blown away by their sound signature, quickly moved on to SR-325 with a discrete sound card. Enjoyed that for a while, but could not stop there. That brought me to HD-650 with Magni/Modi stack, which yet again blew me away (mostly with vastly expanded sound stage and neutrality). I could not listen to Grado for more than an hour, because of pronounced highs.
About 6 months ago I got PM-3 with dragonfly as a compromise for office listening (can't use open cans). Unfortunately, I liked PM-3 a lot, mostly for amazingly responsive bass (what I call pop). IMHO HD-650 bass is a lot more washed out, as compared to PM-3. Of course, PM-3 have their limitations.
That brings me here, I want something like PM-3 but without compromises, specifically with same responsive bass, but better separation and expanded sound stage. I am not sure if I need whole new set up, or just headphones that can be driven by Magni/Modi.
So far, I am thinking of Asgard 2/Bifrost Multibit but can't figure out proper headphones.

Really should pick the headphone, before deciding on a new DAC/amp.
How about replacing the HD650 with the newer HD660 S ?
Someone needs to buy the newest headphones and post reviews on them.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 21
Really should pick the headphone, before deciding on a new DAC/amp.
How about replacing the HD650 with the newer HD660 S ?
Someone needs to buy the newest headphones and post reviews on them.
Well I agree pick the headphone before the amp and dac. Replacing the 650’s for the 660’s would be a bit of a challenge as they lowered the impedance to 150 and probably won’t go as well as the original with the Crack.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 21
Well I agree pick the headphone before the amp and dac. Replacing the 650’s for the 660’s would be a bit of a challenge as they lowered the impedance to 150 and probably won’t go as well as the original with the Crack.
I would think a 150-Ohm headphone would do fine with any tube headphone amplifier?
Do you know the output impedance of the Crack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back