Magni gain switch
Nov 24, 2018 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tylerfutrell

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Noob here - I've got a Schiit Magni and HD650s, and I'm experimenting with the hi/lo gain switch on the amp, and adjusting the volume to approx. the same same level, to see if I can hear a difference. It sounds like possibly the hi gain setting (and thus, turning the knob only halfway up as opposed to 75%) improves the bass extension - is there any reason to think that's true, or is it a placebo effect? If true, are there other differences one would expect?

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Gain setting Is really up to what your own ears like.
As the HD650 are 300-Ohms, I would assume to just using the gain set to Hi.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't hear any difference with my Magni 2U and HD600. I did a test with RMAA and there is a measurable but inaudible difference in frequency response.

upload_2018-11-25_10-32-40.png

You can't tell in the screenshot, but the green and purple high gain lines overlap, you only see the purple. The white, cyan, and yellow low gains also overlap each other. I tried low gain with the volume pot at a different position to see if it's the volume position or the gain setting which caused a difference, and it is the gain setting, not the volume position. It's only a maximum of 0.2dB difference though which is not audible. I can't say if all Magnis would show the same thing, yours may have more difference.

Gain setting Is really up to what your own ears like.
As the HD650 are 300-Ohms, I would assume to just using the gain set to Hi.
High impedance doesn't mean you need high gain, that's a misconception. Low has more than enough volume for my use, and it gives finer control with the volume knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back