Magni amp not working in europe?
May 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

So i'm traveling in Berlin for a few months currently, permanent residence U.S. And I naturally decided to bring my headphones with me. I have a sennheiser hd 600 with a magni/modi as my amp and dac. So I brought over two converters for my gaming laptop and amp. An Insignia adapter converter combo (26-1875W) (220-240V AC to 100-120V AC), and a regular brennenstuhi 250 V~ 15A. Now I don't remember the exact combination but at one point I got everything to work, both amp and laptop. But than I switched it, and it stopped working. I at one point might have placed the Insignia to the adapter setting instead of converter. And I don't know how the amp reacts with both. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there good headphone stores in Berlin, that I can go to seek help?

Thanks!

May 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 2
  Hello

So i'm traveling in Berlin for a few months currently, permanent residence U.S. And I naturally decided to bring my headphones with me. I have a sennheiser hd 600 with a magni/modi as my amp and dac. So I brought over two converters for my gaming laptop and amp. An Insignia adapter converter combo (26-1875W) (220-240V AC to 100-120V AC), and a regular brennenstuhi 250 V~ 15A. Now I don't remember the exact combination but at one point I got everything to work, both amp and laptop. But than I switched it, and it stopped working. I at one point might have placed the Insignia to the adapter setting instead of converter. And I don't know how the amp reacts with both. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there good headphone stores in Berlin, that I can go to seek help?

Thanks!

If by "adapter setting instead of converter" it means "it just works as a power strip and doesn't convert the 240v input into a 120v output (technically input into whatever is plugged into it)" then you might have damaged the Magni's power supply. You'll have to order another one from Schiit since it's an AC to AC adapter - most external PSUs are AC to DC. Not sure however if doing such has already damaged something inside the amplifier aside from getting a new power supply (at which point, if it doesn't work properly, then that means something else was damaged).

Also...why did you need a converter for your gaming laptop? Don't all laptops come with a global power supply? All I bring with me are a couple of compact surge protectors (that way if one takes a hit I have a back up on hand). If you were not aware of this you could have powered the laptop or charged it, basically there was nothing that would go wrong since it's a globally compatible PSU but not knowing this so you didn't check and powered on the Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back