Magni 2 Uber vs Asgard 2 for Nighthawks
Dec 27, 2016 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IronStolf

New Head-Fier
Happy holidays,
I Would like some opinions on which amp would be a better pairing for low impedance headphones such as the Nighthawk and HE-400i. The Magni 2 Uber seems to be more powerful for lower impedance headphones such as the ones mentioned. Would that even play a part in the sound quality?

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 12
Both amps provide more then enough power for the he 400i - I can't comment on the nighthawks as I've never heard them.

Most people consider the 400i rather efficient and not that difficult to power, but it depends on the volume you prefer to listen to. Personally, I find the 400i way to quiet directly from source (phone or desktop) while some people are able to enjoy them without an amp.

I have the Asgard 2 paired with the he400i right now and I'm happy with it. I find the Asgard 2 is rather warm and smooth sounding. The 400i is somewhat neutral maybe leaning a bit towards bright, so I find they pair rather nicely together. The Magni (uber) tends to be a bit brighter sounding, so may increase the brightness of the he400i a bit further. Depends on if this is a signature sound you are looking for. 

Both amps are more then sufficient to power the 400i, but I prefer how the Asgard 2 pairs with it.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Happy holidays,
I Would like some opinions on which amp would be a better pairing for low impedance headphones such as the Nighthawk and HE-400i. The Magni 2 Uber seems to be more powerful for lower impedance headphones such as the ones mentioned. Would that even play a part in the sound quality?

there he is...did you end up getting the Nighthawk?

You can email Schiit directly and ask them,they usually respond within an hour depending upon the time of day. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 12
there he is...did you end up getting the Nighthawk?

You can email Schiit directly and ask them,they usually respond within an hour depending upon the time of day. 

Yes I did, and I am almost certain I will be sticking with them. Thanks again for showing me the way. I actually emailed them late Monday but I guess they are still enjoying the Holidays.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 12
Both amps provide more then enough power for the he 400i - I can't comment on the nighthawks as I've never heard them.

Most people consider the 400i rather efficient and not that difficult to power, but it depends on the volume you prefer to listen to. Personally, I find the 400i way to quiet directly from source (phone or desktop) while some people are able to enjoy them without an amp.

I have the Asgard 2 paired with the he400i right now and I'm happy with it. I find the Asgard 2 is rather warm and smooth sounding. The 400i is somewhat neutral maybe leaning a bit towards bright, so I find they pair rather nicely together. The Magni (uber) tends to be a bit brighter sounding, so may increase the brightness of the he400i a bit further. Depends on if this is a signature sound you are looking for. 

Both amps are more then sufficient to power the 400i, but I prefer how the Asgard 2 pairs with it.

Thanks,
I am currently trying out the Asgard 2 and I have to say it sounds really good with the 400i(also on trial period), but still a little bright for me. I prefer the sound of the Nighthawks, so from here on out I would like to discuss the best amp for the Nighthawks.

I think the Asgard 2 is a little warm for the Nighthawks. I am more leaning towards the Magni 2 Uber or possibly even the Lyr 2. Does anyone know how the Lyr 2 compares to the other 2 amps mentioned? Is it a warm amp? Schiit's site only has one option, 6BZ7 tubes. Does this mean I can still switch between tubes and solid state? If so how is this done?

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Schhit european site still allows select tubes, solid or both.
http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/amps/lyr-2-high-power-tube-hybrid-or-solid-state-headamp-preamp.html

Maybe is a stock problem...

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Schhit european site still allows select tubes, solid or both.
http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/amps/lyr-2-high-power-tube-hybrid-or-solid-state-headamp-preamp.html

Maybe is a stock problem...

Yes, I received a reply from Schiit saying they are out of LISST tubes. I am guessing that by switching out the tubes is how you go from tube to SS?

The reply regarding the sound signature from Schiit was: "The Lyr 2 has tube warmth that the Asgard 2 and Magni 2 do not have, it also has a bit more low end emphasis.". If that information is accurate it sounds like it would not be a good pairing for me. Unless "tube warmth", is different from the warmth of the Asgard 2?

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes, I received a reply from Schiit saying they are out of LISST tubes. I am guessing that by switching out the tubes is how you go from tube to SS?

The reply regarding the sound signature from Schiit was: "The Lyr 2 has tube warmth that the Asgard 2 and Magni 2 do not have, it also has a bit more low end emphasis.". If that information is accurate it sounds like it would not be a good pairing for me. Unless "tube warmth", is different from the warmth of the Asgard 2?

Its hard to recommend where to go as far as which amp to pair with The Nighthawks in your case...having followed your journey from HD650s to now.

Most folks dont find the 650s sibilant,and frankly I wouldnt ever suggest a warm amp,tubes or otherwise,for the Nighthawks...however your hearing seems to not fall into the category of "normal"...so you might actually like a warm amp with The Nighthawks
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 12
Its hard to recommend where to go as far as which amp to pair with The Nighthawks in your case...having followed your journey from HD650s to now.

Most folks dont find the 650s sibilant,and frankly I wouldnt ever suggest a warm amp,tubes or otherwise,for the Nighthawks...however your hearing seems to not fall into the category of "normal"...so you might actually like a warm amp with The Nighthawks:confused_face_2:

Well the Nighthawks are definitely a different sounding headphone, and one I prefer. I have tried it on both the Magni 2 and Asgard 2 and I prefer the sound of the Magni 2. The Asgard 2/Nighthawk combo seems a bit muffled, for lack of a better word.

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 12
Well the Nighthawks are definitely a different sounding headphone, and one I prefer. I have tried it on both the Magni 2 and Asgard 2 and I prefer the sound of the Magni 2. The Asgard 2/Nighthawk combo seems a bit muffled, for lack of a better word.

I have the Magni 2 Uber as well and it is far from warm,so if youre preferring that sound with the Nighthawks than I would steer clear of any other amps,Schiit,or otherwise that advertise a "warm sound signature"...and that pretty much eliminates most,if not all tube amps.

Glad you finally found a headphone that works for you.

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 12
I have the Magni 2 Uber as well and it is far from warm,so if youre preferring that sound with the Nighthawks than I would steer clear of any other amps,Schiit,or otherwise that advertise a "warm sound signature"

Glad you finally found a headphone that works for you.

Yes, it has been a journey, thanks for all the help. I currently have the Magni 2, not the Uber version. I realize I do need the preouts on the Uber and the extra power is welcomed. I am assuming the sound signature between the Magni 2 and Uber are very similar?

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 12
yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back