magnetic shielding: do I really need it?
Sep 13, 2006 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my insignias, and Im thinking about setting one on a shelf right next to a crt TV.
I tested to see if the speakers effected the picture, they did not. Does this mean the TV is relatively safe, or could there be problems down the line?

Sep 13, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 5
If it's not distorting the CRT picture, you're fine. Don't worry about it. There is no effective way of retrofitting magnetic shielding onto a speaker anyway without changing the driver parameters.

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Agreed.

A problem I didn't know about before was telephone radiation. I have unshielded studio monitors for computer speakers, and I can tell when I get a phone call by the sound of crackling doom coming from the speakers about 10 seconds before it rings. So, don't leave a cordless or cellular phone near your speakers.

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
I just got my insignias, and Im thinking about setting one on a shelf right next to a crt TV.
I tested to see if the speakers effected the picture, they did not. Does this mean the TV is relatively safe, or could there be problems down the line?

AFAIK, if you can't see it, then there's no reason to worry about it. The only caveat I would add is to check it in a darkened room. I say this because I once thought a speaker was fine near the TV, but that was in daylight. When I was watching a movie late at night, I noticed a blue-green effect in the part of the picture nearest the speaker that I hadn't seen in daylight. It wasn't particularly strong, but it was there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back