Magnesium lowered my tinnitus. :)
Sep 15, 2005 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ArcTeryx

100+ Head-Fier
I've had tinnitus for longer than I can remember but only in the past 3 years or so (since I found out about head-fi....) did it get really bad. I used to only hear this high pitched ringing at night when it was silent. Now I can hear it above the humming of my AC.
I can even hear it when I put on my senn HD580's to listen to classical music.

So I've been taking 700-800mg of magnesium everyday for about 2 months. The ringing is about 2/3rds of what it used to be.

I'm sure a LOT of you around here, esp. since you listen to so much music have my problem too, just thought you guys might wanna give it a try.

Sep 15, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 32
eek.gif
how loud did you normally listen to headphones? A friend of mine has a similar problem since he attends lots of concerts, and recently he said his hearing has got so bad that he can't even appreciate his high end bookshelf speakers, so he ended up selling them

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

is there some scientific basis for this?

Actually, there is, and some doctors recommend magnesium for tinnitus. It has to do with increased circulation, as I recall. Obviously, the worse the tinnitus, the more dramatic the results will be.

I've also heard that a combination of topical and injected DMSO has been shown to have a similar effect. I'd stick with the magnesium.

In any case, all it takes is a trip to your local vitamin store to verify this for yourself.

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 32
Magnesium indeed has proved to work.

But:

Magnesium:
Cardiovascular disease, muscle / joint pains,
dry skin, low stomach acid, low blood pressure,
depression, fatigue, higher risk for several
cancers, diarrhea, osteoporosis, joint / spinal
degeneration, dehydration, muscle spasms /
Cramps

That are possible side-effects or results of an overdose. But i dont think 'normal' use will cause these things. Just a note for you guys so you dont start popping them magnesium pills.

I knew this med-school thing would come in handy
icon10.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 32
On my WooAudio3 amp and my senn 580's, about like, 50% for classical music and 30-40% for rock on the volume knob. Of course there are certain songs where I really like it and I'll go up to like 60%.
I can only hear the ringing during the quieter portions.

At work I listen to music all day while I'm designing stuff.

And I do a lot of road biking, so that roar of wind in my ears at 20-40mph really does a lot of damage too.

I actually heard of one study where they injected liquid magnesium directly into this lady's ear and her life long tinnitus completely went away for a while.

Sep 15, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcTeryx
I actually heard of one study where they injected liquid magnesium directly into this lady's ear and her life long tinnitus completely went away for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Magnesium - Melting Point: 650C/923K

blink.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 32
Magnesium and Zinc is very important for males.
very very important. (regulates testorone and sleep)
So i do pop 450mg of it a day with zinc at 30 mg.
I have no ringing in my ears, I dont attend rock concerts,or clubs where sounds are unbearable, but do attend
korean pop shows, and other expensively done orchestrated performances where the sound is looked at first in maintaining a comfortable volume.

Breaks recently:
I took 24 hours so far off my headphones and listening to nothing but the dumb pc fan right now. I plan on not using my headphones for another day because i will have new speakers
cool.gif
..then Maybe at weekend night i might use it again.

Please take care of your ears people
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

...very very important. (regulates testorone...)

Regulating testorone sure sounds very, very important to me.

Not that my testotorone needs regulation, mind you. It's working just fine, really. But if it needed to be regulated, I'd be at the vitamin shop within seconds.

See ya.

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcTeryx
Hehe, sorry, it was magnesium sulfate.

which is soluble.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 32
Glad to hear that the magnesium worked. I take ginko/ginkgo compound with garlic and zinc, Chelated Calcium+Magnesium and zinc, (don't overdo the zinc, I think 30mg per day is max), B complex, B12 and am just getting ready to start flax seed oil and fish oil capsules. There is a wealth or info on ARCHES site. He advertises here as well. I have good days and bad days. If I would just take the ginko/ginkgo twice a day like a good boy my tinnitus would be a lot better. The stuff bothers my stomach and sometimes I just forget.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 32
Thanks for the tip, ArcTeryx. It's certainly worth a shot
biggrin.gif

With regards to not overdoing the zinc, if you drink the soluble stuff you'll know when you body has enough, you'll get a rather horrible taste in your mouth one morning when you have some
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back