Magnepan setup in dedicated room.
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Godson

New Head-Fier
Hey just wondering if there is any magnepan sound expertise out there, for my constructive criticism.
Looking at the new mini maggies, or a pair of 20.7 used(although a bit intimidating looking for transportation).

How much room will the speakers fill? Are there better options for the depth and perception in speakers? Carpet floor vs hardwood in regards to this sound signature?
I take it an ODAC can't amp these, edumacation on what kindof amp power would be needed for this prospective setup.

Peace, universal love.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Carpet floor vs hardwood in regards to this sound signature?

Hey, its great your paying attention to room treatment. I see so many pictures on the internet of systems where people have spent huge amounts of money without giving it any thought. 'Carpet vs hardwood floor' really depends on your specific room though. First thing you should do is get some bass traps and treat the area right between your speakers. See how things sound and move from there I would say.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey just wondering if there is any magnepan sound expertise out there, for my constructive criticism.
Looking at the new mini maggies, or a pair of 20.7 used(although a bit intimidating looking for transportation).

How much room will the speakers fill? Are there better options for the depth and perception in speakers? Carpet floor vs hardwood in regards to this sound signature?
I take it an ODAC can't amp these, edumacation on what kindof amp power would be needed for this prospective setup.

Peace, universal love.

I have done a lot of tinkering with my Maggie's and think I've finally got a great set up.

I have mine in a fairly large room, I think it's ~20x8x12. I think Martin Logan actually has better depth and sound staging than Maggie's, but Maggie's are no slouch and Maggie's excell in other areas. Carpet flooring will sound better, sharper transients and impulse response. When I moved to my new apt which has wood floors I had to invest in a nice rug, bass traps, diffusers, and absorbers and it's still not better acoustics than my carpeted apt. Mini Maggie's need a sub IMO and DSP is very helpful. Lastly for power, I have heard alot amps with my mini Maggie's. I think high bias class AB amps with lots of current sound best e.g. Parasound halo a21, odyssey audio stratos, and bryston 4bsst^2. That being said a number of class D amps sounded pretty good as well, but I still prefer the class ab e.g. Peach tree grand x1 and nova125. I'd stay above 100 watts, more if using them in a big room or at loud volumes.

Check out the mini Maggie thread... I have posted there many times as I built my system
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620289/magnepan-mini-maggie-desktop-speaker-system/45#post_9662523

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Obviously a huge difference between the two types of set ups.  20.7s will eat up a lot of space if you place them a third of the way into the room as recommended.  Alternately, if you go with Mini-Maggies, as mentioned above I would ensure better low frequency with 2 DWM panels.  Balance within the room is pretty important, making sure to have as symmetric layout as possible for even side wall reflections.

Depending upon your room layout, effective bass trapping and diffusor layout can give a really even response.

Finally, they are current-demanding speakers.  I had really bad luck with D-class amps, as the Maggies are ruthlessly revealing of the quality of upstream gear (especially the bigger ones, like the 3.7s and 20.7s), so D-class just don't sound as good as a better quality A or AB amp.

edited to add: if going big, my highest recommendation is to add Maggie speaker stands from Mye Sound. Grant is great to deal with and makes a fantastic product for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back