Magnepan Mini Maggie Desktop Speaker System
Mar 5, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #76 of 76
  Sorry to necro an older thread, but I wanted to add some comments since I purchased a subwoofer. I found a relatively inexpensive Paradigm subwoofer that had good reviews off Craigslist, because I wanted to test the effect of a subwoofer before I took a plunge on a more expensive subwoofer. In a word - wow. The mini maggie is greatly enhanced by filling in the bass hole. To the point that I think for most music types, it's disingenuous to say that 'some people may not feel the need for a sub'. While technically true, I don't think anyone hearing a properly dialed in MM + DWM + Sub combo with a good sub would prefer it without the sub.

The tricky part is integration, but even without achieving absolute perfection, having the sub present helps a lot. I think a really fast, low distortion sub (in the 4 figures $-wise) would sound even better, because I can easily tell the difference between the DWM and the sub, but like I said, turning off the sub makes the sound much more brittle and lightweight. I used some calibration discs and a sound meter to get a rough idea of the updated in-room frequency response, and despite a slight dip in the mid bass due the the 200hz handoff to the subs, it is suprisingly smooth (better than my professionally calibrated living room). I now find the treble and overall balance perfect. These really do sound like a much more expensive set of speakers now, and not easily put to shame by the high end headphones sitting next to them. Highly recommended.

thank you for your impression...... very precious
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back