Madonna: American life... an observation on SQ with the new Sony SA5000
Mar 17, 2005 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
I've always enjoyed a few Madonna albums including her "Immaculate Collection" and "American Life". The MS-pros make this music powerful and very dynamic. I find even bad equipment like the car Cd player sounds okay with these albums.

But having just gotten the Sony MDR SA5000, there are things, to quote Madonna: "visions bad and good"...

Looking at the American Life album. First up the treble in the upper ranges is way over the top. Plenty of "sssss" hisses on her "s" sounds. The bass is also over the top. The Sony's really do have bass and with this music its really full on.

I must say sound separation between channels is outstanding, really outstanding. Detail is there as well. Quite an exciting listen if you are concentrating on these elements and can get past the "s" being exagerrated.

Suddenly, as much as I like the music, I find its not recorded in what I call balanced, good quality. I always thought it was reasonable quality before....

Am I just discovering the real quality of these recordings or is it just an artifact of the Sony's presentation?

TonyAAA

Mar 17, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 4
That's probably right. Although I'd hardly call the MS-pros "consumer level" they do have an ability to make average SQ shine. I guess I am wondering if the Sony's will change my perception of a few of my old favourites....

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back