Made my own 10+ kg brilliant pebble! Mass damping to the extreme!
Jun 12, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #181 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patric , I used to write trance music but you wont of heard of me.

Wow, Marc et Claude? I used your album (You Own The Sound) for my first impression of Nordost Valhalla power cord 2+ years ago! I plugged the Valhalla into my Cary 303/300 CD player, inserted your CD and got crazy bass!
basshead.gif
eek.gif
basshead.gif

Quote:

Did you know that most of the genre is created by people in their bedrooms on £1000 synths going into £500 mixers and using £2 cables ?

Yes, that's why I'm using the colored Valhalla cables to compensate for it. They add edginess and fake transparency to the sound, I have modified them thinner and got more transparency and speed! Transients with modded Valhalla + ERS Paper sound amazing.

Quote:

with the money you spent on that paper you could have puchased your own trance studio and not had to worry about other peoples transients

I want to make the transients so fast that nobody will be able to hear them!

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #182 of 202
Quote:

Patric , I used to write trance music but you wont of heard of me.

Did you know that most of the genre is created by people in their bedrooms on £1000 synths going into £500 mixers and using £2 cables ?

with the money you spent on that paper you could have puchased your own trance studio and not had to worry about other peoples transients

I have an analysis plus cable between vsynth and the deck lol. Guess the audiophile side is rubbing off on the bedroom studio side...

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #183 of 202
Jun 15, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #184 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, Marc et Claude? I used your album (You Own The Sound) for my first impression of Nordost Valhalla power cord 2+ years ago! I plugged the Valhalla into my Cary 303/300 CD player, inserted your CD and got crazy bass!
basshead.gif
eek.gif
basshead.gif

I doubt it's Marc Romboy.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #186 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sort of late to the party, but I just read this entire thread, and I am not going to lie... I laughed my ass off
tongue.gif

shut up gil! this isn't a funny thread! its SUPER CEREAL!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #188 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sort of late to the party, but I just read this entire thread, and I am not going to lie... I laughed my ass off
tongue.gif

I'm late too.... and frankly I didn't laugh. On the contrary... I'm terrified by the pictures of that rig. It's already close but the huge stone sphere took us to LUDICROUS SPEED.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #189 of 202
What's the deal with all that paper taped to the equipment ? Maybe I missed an explanation somewhere as I did'nt read every post on every page.Is it for shielding-jesus..........The story I found entertaining though.Sorry you went thru so much hell in Turkey with their toilets.Alabamas' not much to rave about either lol .

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #190 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the deal with all that paper taped to the equipment ? Maybe I missed an explanation somewhere as I did'nt read every post on every page.Is it for shielding-jesus..........The story I found entertaining though.Sorry you went thru so much hell in Turkey with their toilets.Alabamas' not much to rave about either lol .

It's ers paper, shielding the equipment. Ait blackens the background even more and very fine details can be heard easier.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #192 of 202
I compared Magix against Feet of Silence here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...7&postcount=70

I can't have any books on top of DAC1 anymore because I have only 3 Magix under my amp and they can't carry all of that weight, before I had 4 Magix. Even without books the amp is touching ground vibrations a little (few grams too heavy). I removed 3 Magix under my Cary CD transport and put 2 Magix under my amp, then I added 9 books on top. There was a big difference but not as huge as keeping Magix under the transport.

Mass damping makes smaller differences than isolation feet.

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #193 of 202
You need to cover the computer with ERS paper to truly minimze any source of EM interference and its impact on your system.

I'm ashamed that it's not covered from head to toe in paper already.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #194 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by voxr3m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to cover the computer with ERS paper to truly minimze any source of EM interference and its impact on your system.

I'm ashamed that it's not covered from head to toe in paper already.

I had it covered 5 months ago but I removed it because I want to use everything for my main system.

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #195 of 202
I built up my system from scratch. I wanted to save electricity so I removed my P300 Power Plant and used only the Premier Power Plant.
But I was complaining of lack of bass again, I was going to daisy chain a few P300 Power Plants to boost up the bass with MWave4 tone control. But I didn't like the sacrifice of midrange that would come from it, so I tried one last tweak and it seems like it did it! HUGE boost of bass without any sacrifices, and it didn't cost a thing!

Ever since my pre-amp broke I could never get the correct volume even when fine tuning with Foobar. With my Cary transport the problem was much bigger. The pre-amp of DAC1 has a too big gap between the volume steps. The difference between 6th and 7th step was at least 3dB. 6th step was 1dB too quiet, and 7th step was 2dB too loud.
But then I put books on top of my gear, and now it sounds little too loud. So the volume increase was about 1.5dB. I checked the volume many times to confirm, I couldn't believe it!

First impressions: Huge sharp bass that sounds stronger because of more bass information and weight. The added oomph to the music is crazy. I'm hearing sounds I never heard before, it is scary. I need to keep pausing the music to confirm if the sounds come from real life or the recording. The improvement in dynamics is the biggest I have heard, it's similar to daisy chaining power plants but without the lack of speed. There is true blackness of the background.

This is one of the biggest improvements I have ever heard, and it didn't cost a thing.

First impressions 2: Bass used to be little empty but it is now emphasized, but it doesn't interfere with the rest of the music. Everything still is more distinct than before. There is a new world of low-level detail, but it isn't dull, it is clear. This makes everything sound more open too. The soundstage is both blacker and more open, the best of both worlds. Clarity is what improved the most, it used to sound too warm and smooth but now it just sounds blacker and whiter, everything is sharp instead of smooth. It sounds like the edgy Feet of Silence sound signature but instead of sacrificing low-level detail, it also improves it! Amazing!

The improvement from books on top of DAC1 was similar to triple wrapping DAC1's Valhalla power cord with ERS Paper. It got better in every way, no weaknesses at all.

Next day: The dynamics and boost of volume is little fatiguing now. It reminds me of when I wrapped my headphone cable in toilet paper rolls and ERS Paper. Both tweaks gave almost identical improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back