[Made in China]Absolute DIY!
Mar 11, 2007 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

timmit

New Head-Fier
http://www.audiofans.cn/thread-2897-1-1.html
The above URL link will lead you to take a look at some crazy thing -- an experienced DIYer is taking pains to produce a headphone that could match DT931 ! (The web is in Chinese language)
We have many DIYers engaged in the Do-It-Yourself of amps, disc players and cables. While this man is unique. He is up to it!
I think he is a creative and adventurous guy -- but to see is to believe. We will see one day!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Wow, that's pretty hard core.

I don't believe I'd ever attempt such a thing. I mean yeah it could sound really great, but it could also be a lot of work and then not sound very good at all.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's pretty hard core.

I don't believe I'd ever attempt such a thing. I mean yeah it could sound really great, but it could also be a lot of work and then not sound very good at all.

Come on, man! Don't you know why DIYers are DIYers; don't you remember what we do it for? Just for fun!
There is the challenge and we take it on! hoho. Cool, isn't it?

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 21
Actually, if you don't mind a slightly heavy headphone, you can use a 2" or 3" fullrange speaker drivers as headphones ala AKG K1000. I tried them with the HiVi B3N and it sounded really amazing and lifelike. I think headphone drivers sacrifice too much for weight reduction.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 21
Hmm it seems like you have to register to read it. Unfortunately I don't speak Chinese
frown.gif
Could anyone post the pics here?

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm it seems like you have to register to read it. Unfortunately I don't speak Chinese
frown.gif
Could anyone post the pics here?

Actually too many pics and they are of relatively large size. It might be a little difficult for your computers to connect the servers. Could anyone who understands Chinese do us a favor to post the pics and give some description?

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 21
Oh, it looks like the page is working for me now. Previously, it was giving me a log in screen.

Awesome stuff. I wonder how it sounds.

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 21
That is pretty neat. First I've heard of someone building their own headphones. Kudos to the man!

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 21
yes> i was amzed too. It really takes time.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm left wondering how he's going to get a remotely flat frequency response out of that tweeter. He may get adequate bass with the driver a centimeter or less from his ear, but I would imagine the upper end of the frequency response is still going to overpower it. I'm no headphone engineer though, so maybe the frequency response is remarkably flat that close to your ear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, if you don't mind a slightly heavy headphone, you can use a 2" or 3" fullrange speaker drivers as headphones ala AKG K1000. I tried them with the HiVi B3N and it sounded really amazing and lifelike. I think headphone drivers sacrifice too much for weight reduction.

Interesting. I've got a pair of Aurasound NS-3's sitting around, largely considered even better than the HiVi B3N/B3S, at least at DIYAudio. They do seem quite heavy though. Makes me wonder how much the shielding weighs and how difficult it would be to remove it. I wouldn't know where to begin on enclosure/ear cup design though.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting. I've got a pair of Aurasound NS-3's sitting around, largely considered even better than the HiVi B3N/B3S, at least at DIYAudio. They do seem quite heavy though. Makes me wonder how much the shielding weighs and how difficult it would be to remove it. I wouldn't know where to begin on enclosure/ear cup design though.

Yes, the Aurasound would be even better. No filter components would be required since the response is very smooth, and you get 6mm of linear xmax. The basic design would be exactly the same as the AKG K1000, but you'll get much better bass (the xmax on the K1000 is like 0.5mm). I think it can beat the K1000, but that remains to be seen.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 21
Well, news came that this Chinese DIYer had the first experience of his sel-built headphones. He himself thought it sounds even better than DT931 in the part of treble, because he siad, these headphones were more of less like those speakers made up of "aluminum belt".

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 21
OMG, he's using aluminum cans. I feel inspired XD I wanna try it. OK, gotta get some winding wire, neo magnets, lemme see, what else
wink.gif
Yeah right, I'm dreaming XD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back