"Made for iPhone" earbuds with volume and microphone controls; recommendations?
May 30, 2014 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Angular Mo

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for recommendations of earbuds (not IEM!) for my iPhone 5 with similar microphone and volume controls as the standard earpods have...though with better sound.

It would be great if they also had a right angle jack and the wire was a flat-tape kind that did not tangle, but these are lesser considerations.

May 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 14
I am looking for recommendations of earbuds (not IEM!) for my iPhone 5 with similar microphone and volume controls as the standard earpods have...though with better sound.

It would be great if they also had a right angle jack and the wire was a flat-tape kind that did not tangle, but these are lesser considerations.

I had pretty much the same question a few days ago and decided to just go ahead and buy the Bose mie2i. I'm glad I did,do they provide great sound not really compared to some of the headphones that I own. They do offer OK sound great functionality to my iPhone 5s and I can still here my surroundings when there in. For these factors alone this is the reason I bought them, and so far I'm enjoying them greatly.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 14
I think many Ultimate Ears models can be purchased with the in-line mic and controls. When I had my CIEMs made, I bought the cord from UE and had it incorporated into the build.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 14
I think many Ultimate Ears models can be purchased with the in-line mic and controls. When I had my CIEMs made, I bought the cord from UE and had it incorporated into the build.

He asked for non-IEM earbuds, cherie...

so yeah, since Creative isn't coming out with a remote version of the Aurvana Air, we'll probably have to go to Bose.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 14
What is a "non-IEM" earbud? Do you mean non-custom? I've had several pairs of non-custom IEMs with phone controls from Ultimate Ears, although now they're probably sold under Logitech label.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 14
What is a "non-IEM" earbud? Do you mean non-custom? I've had several pairs of non-custom IEMs with phone controls from Ultimate Ears, although now they're probably sold under Logitech label.

No, He and I are both referring to non-canalphones. Open-air earphones like the old ipod earbuds. UE doesn't make any of those at all.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 14
OK I take it back! The sound from the Bose is something I never want to experience again. I really wanted to like these but the ibuds that come with my iphone 5s are by far better sounding IMO.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 14
Oh you know what? Doesn't B&O make a remote/mic version of the A8...called the Earset 3i? That will do, it doesn't sound bad at all. The A8 may have seemed hideously expensive 10 years ago and gave B&O whatever reputation on head-fi, but that's because 10 years ago far fewer headphones and earbuds were in its price range. Today with so many $150-200 products not necessarily surpassing it anyway, I think it's not a bad option at all.

Kyle76, I'm actually trying to give the OP suggestions per his requirement. A little less snark (and staying on topic instead of constantly pushing for IEMs) would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Kyle76, I'm actually trying to give the OP suggestions per his requirement. A little less snark (and staying on topic instead of constantly pushing for IEMs) would be greatly appreciated.

I, also, was trying to help the OP by suggesting that UE sells a separate cord with a built-in microphone and iPhone controls that might be used on whatever earbuds he or she eventually decided fit his or her needs. There was no attempt at "constantly pushing for IEMs" nor was there any "snark" in any of my comments.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 14
  ATH made a remote cable as well that you can attach to your earbud of choice , dunno why you would want earbuds though , I find them not as comfy

I just got one of those ATH cables a couple weeks ago, and I can tell you why it's not an ideal solution: it's still more clumsy.

I got the version with an analog volume control that does NOT work with all kinds of headphones. Example, the volume dial is essentially useless for the XBA-C10, with a cliff-face volume drop halfway down. It's fine with dynamic driers, but still not as good as the one built into certain ATH products, less volume control range and finesse.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 14
Apples OEM ear-pods are one of the better earbud types (non-canal) I have heard.  Their microphone quality is excellent.  I dial into conference calls with my iPhone and others have asked what microphone I am using, because I sound clearer and slightly louder than anyone on the call.  Sonically, they can match the Yuin PK2-3 models in a lot of ways.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 14

I just got one of those ATH cables a couple weeks ago, and I can tell you why it's not an ideal solution: it's still more clumsy.

I got the version with an analog volume control that does NOT work with all kinds of headphones. Example, the volume dial is essentially useless for the XBA-C10, with a cliff-face volume drop halfway down. It's fine with dynamic driers, but still not as good as the one built into certain ATH products, less volume control range and finesse.

I dunno  if I get the same model or not , but yes it does have the volume wheel thing , and mine works just fine with my iems (tried it with se215, jvcfxd80, I tried it for like 10 mins with ie 8)
so eh different experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back