Made a mistake with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm...I think I should have gotten the 32 Ohm
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 31
There's also the psychology behind sound perception that says it's easier to perceive loudness as being better. It doesn't even have to as huge a gap in sensitivity - a lot of people think Grado is absolutely accurate despite measurements, since live instruments aren't constrained by "only 256mW into a 93dB/1mW driver," thus "99dB/1mW load getting 128mW absolutely rocks!"

That's why I'm explaining that there are technological limitations with regard to balancing out performance and power needs and cost. You have to be on board with that and the risk of not getting what you like if you just order it online instead of trying it in the store before anybody can give you any recommendations. I've been in here long enough to see people come back stark raving mad hating what they were recommended to blow money on...by people who did not take into account the perspective of the one asking and you're telling me in the other thread I'm doing the same thing for explaining those tech limitations and just staying with something familiar. Great.

You know what, here's the thing. If your problem is mainly the ergonomics on the PMX-60 but the drivers still work, contact a Grado modder and have them put that PMX-60 driver in a Grado chassis with an earpad adapter that can take larger earpads (so far most use Beyer so specify that you want something larger).
I already stated this: TO ME the PMX 60's loudness is perfect and sound quality is great. If you put them on and say otherwise, that doesnt make it more or less true: It just makes it your personal opinion.

If I wanted a mod, I would have asked for one.

Honestly, this board was better years ago. I got my last two headphones from here and they were perfect. I dont know what is up with this eliteist attitude, so to speak, from everyone that thinks they are gods or something. Im just looking to replace the DT 770 Pro with something louder (its obvious I need 32 Ohm instead of 80 Ohm to fix that) and more comfy (the head around and in ear is way too much for me)

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 31
I already stated this: TO ME the PMX 60's loudness is perfect and sound quality is great.
---
If I wanted a mod, I would have asked for one.

OK.

So why are you even trying to replace them, much less with something totally different? Because I had to grasp at straws as to what it is you wanted better by replacing them but so far you're only doing worse...and then getting miffed about every time somebody tells you that you're doing it worse, even for your own criterias.

If you put them on and say otherwise, that doesnt make it more or less true: It just makes it your personal opinion.

I didn't have an opinion on the sound as an assessment of the PMX60.

My opinion, and backed up by actual data on what you can find out there to begin with, is precisely to not replace the PMX-60. So if you think we want you to blow more money on more things, no. I just told you not to.

Now if you broke them, well, I'm gonna make it clear...it's not like you were clear about why exactly you tried replacing them, so it's fair to assume they still work.

And even if they're broken, I already did say you need to just get another PMX-60 or whatever Sennheiser replaced it with. Contrary to your opinion that my opinion was that it doesn't sound any good, my point precisely is that if this is what sounds good to you and everything else has to work with a handicap of needing more power that you vehemently do not want to address (because Big Amp is a conspiracy to take your money or something), THERE IS PRACTICALLY NO OTHER OPTION FOR YOU since everything else will NOT be anywhere near as loud and as a consequence not sound as good to you. You're basically driving a Lotus 7 and then asking for a sport sedan recommendation, but it needs to be powered by a comparable engine to the Ford Duratec in that Lotus 7, and then get miffed when the car is sluggish or you're told that anything that is any less of a bare bones track car as the Lotus 7 will feel sluggish if you're not upping the power.

Honestly, this board was better years ago. I got my last two headphones from here and they were perfect. I dont know what is up with this eliteist attitude, so to speak, from everyone that thinks they are gods or something. Im just looking to replace the DT 770 Pro with something louder (its obvious I need 32 Ohm instead of 80 Ohm to fix that) and more comfy (the head around and in ear is way too much for me)

Honestly, this board could be better. I got my system from here and it's lasted me nearly ten years so far without major changes. I don't now what is up with the belligerently ignorant attitude, so to speak, from one guy that thinks everything is a conspiracy to rob him or something. I was just explaining the issue with sensitivity and how that ratio works, then he gets miffed, then people mentioned amps, and he gets miffed again, then I say he'd be better off sticking with the one headphone he's used with an extreme advantage in sensitivity and chances are nobody in the forum has tried anything at that product tier with comparable sensitivity his best bet would be to get that same headphone if it's broken or stick with it or get whatever replaced it...

But I guess telling you that anything else that might have higher sensitivity than the DT770 that we know of isn't going to make much of a difference over it instead of being anywhere near the PMX-60 or that a 99dB/1mW Grado even if it does is an open back on-ear that will just offset its sensitivity by letting more ambient noise is just more "elitist attitude, so to speak."

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #18 of 31
OK.

So why are you even trying to replace them, much less with something totally different? Because I had to grasp at straws as to what it is you wanted better by replacing them but so far you're only doing worse...and then getting miffed about every time somebody tells you that you're doing it worse, even for your own criterias.

I believe I mentioned this:

1: They are pretty worn out.
2: The over the neck design is not suitable for my activity nowadays
3: Im sure there are better sounding ones out there

Besides, do I really need a reason to replace them?

My opinion, and backed up by actual data on what you can find out there to begin with, is precisely to not replace the PMX-60. So if you think we want you to blow more money on more things, no. I just told you not to.
No no, you are mixing actual data (true data, I dont argue there) with your own personal opinion and agenda. You can go ahead and dispute that but from that start, you were on the amp bandwagon when I never said that PLUS on top of that, I mentioned these were hot and uncomfy for me....Or are you gonna backup with actual data, that they are not hot and uncomfy for me?

Honestly, this board could be better. I got my system from here and it's lasted me nearly ten years so far without major changes. I don't now what is up with the belligerently ignorant attitude, so to speak, from one guy that thinks everything is a conspiracy to rob him or something. I was just explaining the issue with sensitivity and how that ratio works, then he gets miffed, then people mentioned amps, and he gets miffed again, then I say he'd be better off sticking with the one headphone he's used with an extreme advantage in sensitivity and chances are nobody in the forum has tried anything at that product tier with comparable sensitivity his best bet would be to get that same headphone if it's broken or stick with it or get whatever replaced it...
Are you honestly salty because someone does not have the same opinion as you? Talk about god complex....

But I guess telling you that anything else that might have higher sensitivity than the DT770 that we know of isn't going to make much of a difference over it instead of being anywhere near the PMX-60 or that a 99dB/1mW Grado even if it does is an open back on-ear that will just offset its sensitivity by letting more ambient noise is just more "elitist attitude, so to speak."
"isn't going to make much of a difference" and the opinions continue....Do you have a blog? (No, that is not a serious question)

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #19 of 31
Actually at no point previously did you mention that the headphones are worn out.

I think this lines up accurately with what @ProtegeManiac said about grasping at straws -> we just don't know enough information yet to give you the advice you're looking for.
All of the folks here that responded have been on headfi for absolutely ages, and I passively recognize them as being some of the most kind and helpful around the entire 'Help and Recommendations' forum.
I think it would also be prudent to accept that any advice given will always be contaminated by personal preference and experience. There is no such thing as objective advice.

If we could just get a little more info then it would make everyone's time here easier and more enjoyable.

Perhaps break things down into the following:
- budget
- headphone type (on-ear, over ear, closed-back, open-back, tomato flavoured, etc)
- preferred genres
- preferred uses (indoors, outdoors, while doing a headstand, etc)
- a list of headphones you've used in the past, and why you like/dislike them.
- anything else you can think of that would help us help you

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #20 of 31
If you want louder or the volume is too low, you could get Fiio A1 or A3.

Although I'm new here, I help where I can.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #21 of 31
I believe I mentioned this:

1: They are pretty worn out.
2: The over the neck design is not suitable for my activity nowadays
3: Im sure there are better sounding ones out there

Believing doesn't always make it true, regardless of what you may have learned from Joseph Goebbels.

@GREQ missed it too. Why not just organize your thoughts first and get everything on the first post. He provided an outline for that at the bottom of his reply box.

Besides, do I really need a reason to replace them?

How do we understand what your goals are if you don't elaborate on why.

If this were another forum this sequence would be like:
"Hi guys, should I get an RTX 2070 Ti or 5700XT? My GTX 1080 keeps crashing and BSOD-ing. And I don't want to have to change my 350watt power supply, my old GTX 750 ran fine on it."
"You need to replace that power supply."
"I ALREADY SAID I DON'T WANT TO REPLACE THE POWER SUPPLY ARE YOU DAFT?!?!"
"Do you even need ray tracing?"
"What monitor are you running? Do you need to play competitively at 120hz or just game at 60hz, 60fps minimum?"
"WHO CARES IF I NEED RAY TRACING OR WHAT MY MONITOR IS?! GAWD THE ELITISM OF THIS FORUM!"

No no, you are mixing actual data (true data, I dont argue there) with your own personal opinion and agenda. You can go ahead and dispute that but from that start, you were on the amp bandwagon when I never said that PLUS on top of that, I mentioned these were hot and uncomfy for me....Or are you gonna backup with actual data, that they are not hot and uncomfy for me?

You don't even know what data I'm talking about.

122dB/1mW. That's pretty rare for IEMs that have the response smoothness high enough on the design parameters, let alone headphones.

But sure, ignore it for the nth time no matter how many times it's been brought up in one way or another to get an irrelevant rant about things I wasn't referring to out.

Are you honestly salty because someone does not have the same opinion as you? Talk about god complex....

You mean like when data and specs are explained to you, you get mad, then you're given a solution, you get mad, then it's explained that you have two options, and you get mad, then when it's explained there's a third option and why your preferred option of getting one handicapped thing that you will likely compare heavily to one thing you claim to be perfect but holds an extreme advantage in one parameter that you don't want to get another one of despite the fact that you claim it's actually perfect, so you get mad again?

"isn't going to make much of a difference" and the opinions continue....Do you have a blog? (No, that is not a serious question)

Now look who's salty over an explanation of how sensitivity and power work.

Although I'm new here, I help where I can.

You better delete that whole thing now because this forum was better years ago when he first got his very high sensitivity headphones that are absolutely perfect, just worn out, but he wants something else just not something that is very high sensitivity like it so he can rant that it's barely loud enough and then get mad at you for mentioning that solution.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 31
@ProtegeManiac, I am aware of this. I could have added something more usefull to help this guy but didn't add it because I was in doubt.
Seeing how this topic has become, I think it's better we should let it rest and help the other mature members.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 31
Your entire post a personal opinion, at best.

The volume I listen to and want to listen to is my issue and my preference.

Honestly, this looks like another subliminal attempt for a get a amp post. I guarantee you 100% if my title was "Volume is too low, what amp should I get?", you wouldnt care nor post about my health....
I'd like to help you, but I don't think I– or likely anybody else here– am able to do that.

Good luck with your hunt.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #24 of 31
If we could just get a little more info then it would make everyone's time here easier and more enjoyable.

Perhaps break things down into the following:
- budget
- headphone type (on-ear, over ear, closed-back, open-back, tomato flavoured, etc)
- preferred genres
- preferred uses (indoors, outdoors, while doing a headstand, etc)
- a list of headphones you've used in the past, and why you like/dislike them.
- anything else you can think of that would help us help you

I have no issues with that but I doubt its gonna help this time...

Here we go

Budget: I would like to keep it around 200 euros. My budget is flexiable so if there is something at 300 that is amazing, sure why not. I think 400 euros is pushing it WAY too much although I understand if a wireless is suggested, it cost that much

Headphone type: Per say, I dont think I have a personal preference but I do want them to be very comfy for long sessions and not get hot

Preferred genres: Hip-hop

Preferred uses: Um, I think you ment here intended use right? Ill be using these mostly indoor on a laptop, a sound card and on a smartphone. I always want the headphone to be geared toward listening hip-hop music although I will be listening to movies (while laying in my bed, IMO important note) and also will be doing long Twitch streaming sessions.

A list of headphones you've used in the past, and why you like/dislike them: I have the Sennheiser PMX60, very nice sounding headphones both quality and volume wise I had the DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm and although they sounded great, the volume was way too low (that is my personal fault IMO for going with the 80 Ohm version) and my ears got way too hot. Unless I get another suggestion, I am willing to give it another shot but with the DT 770 PRO 32 Ohm version)

Anything else you can think of that would help us help you: I do not want a amp. I dont want any in ear iPod bud crap either as that is very uncomfy for me. Besides that, volume is important to me (I like to listen to my music high). They must be comfy to wear for long sessions, both sitting in chair and lying on the bed while lying on my bed viewing my laptop at a angle.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #25 of 31
Sounds like you might want something like the Koss Portapro or Koss KPH30i.
On ear is best for air-flow and keeping your ears cool.
Also they're lightweight and have fairly small headbands, so when lying down they should mostly stay put, especially the PortaPro which has a decent amount of clamping force for it's weight.

The sound of the PortaPro is a little v-shaped.
I have no idea how the PMX60 sounds, but I do own the PMX100 and the PortaPro is more punchy in the bass and treble. The PMX100 is a bit smoother.
Hopefully the PMX60 shares enough of the same DNA for some conclusion to be drawn, but a feel like a huge pinch of salt is required there, since PMX60 is closed-back and PMX100 is open.

If you want to eliminate the headband entirely, there is the Koss KSC75, which shares almost identical drivers with the PortaPro.
Koss also recently released a bluetooth version.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #26 of 31
Sounds like you might want something like the Koss Portapro or Koss KPH30i.
On ear is best for air-flow and keeping your ears cool.
Also they're lightweight and have fairly small headbands, so when lying down they should mostly stay put, especially the PortaPro which has a decent amount of clamping force for it's weight.

The sound of the PortaPro is a little v-shaped.
I have no idea how the PMX60 sounds, but I do own the PMX100 and the PortaPro is more punchy in the bass and treble. The PMX100 is a bit smoother.
Hopefully the PMX60 shares enough of the same DNA for some conclusion to be drawn, but a feel like a huge pinch of salt is required there, since PMX60 is closed-back and PMX100 is open.

If you want to eliminate the headband entirely, there is the Koss KSC75, which shares almost identical drivers with the PortaPro.
Koss also recently released a bluetooth version.
The Koss Porta Pro Classic seems extremely budget.

The Koss KPH30i seems a bit better (still on the budget side) so that might be intresting.

Yeah, I throw the Koss KSC75 in the same category of iCrap airbuds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back