MAD vs earmax for senn 600
Nov 3, 2008 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sop_e

New Head-Fier
My current choice of headphones is the Sennheiser 600 with a Mapletree 150 amplifier. I have had this for a while and have been very pleased however I have gotten the bug to upgrade. I have decided to keep the Sennheiser headphones as I like the sound so I am considering a change to a different amp as the other option. I like tubes and have heard that the Earmax works well with Sennheiser headphones. Being that the Earmax is an OTL amp (and I have read that senns and OTL amps are a good combination), I have decided to investigate further into the Earmax amps.

Will the change from my MAD amp to an Earmax be an upgrade?

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I had the chance to borrow a fellow head-fiers Maple tree HD+, I think it's similiar to the 150 (I've heard the 150 as well but only with the K701s) When you say Earmax which one are you talking about? The Pro, Silver/Anniversary or vanilla version?

I can only give you comparisons to the Earmax Pro, as I haven't heard the other Earmaxs, but the MAD has more soundstage, and is more dynamic than the EMP, where as the EMP is warm, more bass depending on tubes and layed back. You're taking more of a sidegrade than an upgrade if you were to go with an EMP.

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're taking more of a sidegrade than an upgrade if you were to go with an EMP.

agreed...spend the $ on a ss dac instead

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed...spend the $ on a ss dac instead

.... or add some Grados.
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the responses.

Caution,
I was considering purchasing just the regular Earmax but based on your posting, I may have to reconsider. Thanks anyway as your insights have been helpful.

SACD lover,
I originally had a pair of Grados 225s and was happy with them until I heard the Sennheiser 600. To me, I prefer the sound signature of the Senns. The soundstage of the Grados is just too small.

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 6
rule of thumb for the earmaxes is...
regular earmax---100-300 ohm cans
earmax pro---can go down to 50 ohm cans but you really want the silvers or anniversaries for those low ohmage units to shine (i never really felt the 701's, for instance, were done justice thru the emp's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back