MAD Mapletree Ear Purist HD vs HD2 - Hawaii? Oahu? Honolulu?
May 29, 2007 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bootleg

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone on Oahu have a Mapletree Ear Purist HD?

I've ordered an HD2 and would like to put the debate to rest in my own mind.

Dr. Lloyd claims the HD2 sounds better while MrArroyo prefers the HD.

Since the price is going up in 2 days, I'm thinking of just buying an HD to do the comparisons myself...just wanted to check and see if anybody had it locally...

Mahalo!

May 29, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of just buying an HD to do the comparisons myself...

What about all the other respected amp makers you haven't even bought one amp from yet?

May 29, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 11
You're really asking... "who's taste is better / preferred?"

Personally... I would trust "Mrarroyo's" judgment in this matter. I've found his judgment to be quite sound... and similar to my own preferences.

"But that's just me..."

You should contact him and inquire about the differences in the sound qualities, and see if your taste is similar to his.

My guess is... from what I've read... that he'll tell you the HD+ has a bit more drive and impact, with perhaps a bit stronger bass, while the HD2 may have a bit more delicate / refined sound, with perhaps a bit larger soundstage, and without as much impact / drive. So... if you prefer classical music, you might prefer the HD2... and if you prefer jazz, R&B, rock, etc. - where impact and drive are more important - you may prefer the HD+ more.

Just my guess... so you should pursue this more definitively with "Mrarroyo."

Why buy both amps... if you really don't need to?

May 30, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone on Oahu have a Mapletree Ear Purist HD?

I've ordered an HD2 and would like to put the debate to rest in my own mind.

Dr. Lloyd claims the HD2 sounds better while MrArroyo prefers the HD.

Since the price is going up in 2 days, I'm thinking of just buying an HD to do the comparisons myself...just wanted to check and see if anybody had it locally...

Mahalo!

I saw on another thread that you suggested the EAR+ Purist for GS1000. If you think about the same thing for yourself, I'd like to suggest that you do more search for comments on this particular amp and GS1000.

The EAR+ Purist HD is one of my favorite amp, but you can do better if you're looking for an amp for your GS1000.

BTW, I have very high respect for mrarroyo's comments on the MAD amps.

May 30, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're really asking... "who's taste is better / preferred?"

x2

At the end of it, it really just boils down to your preference. And the equipment that you're gonna partner it with.

Amp for amp, I believe the verdict is still out there though. From what I can understand, mrarroyo's HD is a seriously upgraded HD100 and the set that he returned was the HD150. There was really no actual comparison of a stock HD and HD2 yet. Perhaps you could do us a favour...
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I noticed quite a few newly placed orders. The price increase must have really decided the matter for many.

May 30, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by osocan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
There was really no actual comparison of a stock HD and HD2 yet. Perhaps you could do us a favour...
very_evil_smiley.gif

That's the bait bootleg needs to keep diving deeper. You must buy them both for the sake of science!

May 30, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by osocan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

At the end of it, it really just boils down to your preference. And the equipment that you're gonna partner it with.

Amp for amp, I believe the verdict is still out there though. From what I can understand, mrarroyo's HD is a seriously upgraded HD100 and the set that he returned was the HD150. There was really no actual comparison of a stock HD and HD2 yet. Perhaps you could do us a favour...
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I noticed quite a few newly placed orders. The price increase must have really decided the matter for many.

Oh... that's right... I know "Mrarroyo" liked the HD100 better than the HD150. I guess I'm not sure what he said (if anything) about the HD2.

As I recall the HD100, is pretty much the same as the HD+, but with the extra phone socket (one for low Z and one for high Z), the Blackgate caps as filters in the PS (I think), and the "Magic Eye" tube circuits (which are not in the signal path). If you order the HD+, I'd order it with the extra phone socket, as well as the Blackgate caps in the PS.

Of course the other advantage, reported by Lloyd / others, of the HD2 is the greater availability of the tubes for the HD2. I'm not sure that would make a lot of difference once you find the tubes you prefer.

May 30, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 11
First of all, I have no opinion. None. I have not heard either the HD or the HD2, but I desperately want to.

I contacted mrarroyo a few days ago and he was kind enough to share his takes on the HD100 and HD150, amps that are supposed to be similar to the HD and HD2 respectively. He did clearly have a preference for the HD100 (HD).

The thing that got me is that "the word on the street" seems to be that the HD clearly bests the HD2, but from the searches I have done, it seems that only two people have actually heard both amps (or their close relatives) side by side and made their opinions known: mrarroyo and Dr. Lloyd.

The fact that the two have opposite opinions is intriguing. Either the units are so close in sound that its a coin flip...or Dr Lloyd is losing his hearing...or mrarroyo got an atypically poor unit with his HD150.

I have nothing but aloha for everyone on this board. Hopefully I can get my hands on both the HD and HD2...I will then post a detailed comparison between the two.

May 30, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 11
As I recall the HD2 came about as an offshoot of the HD150. My HD150 had some issues which you can read at: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210509

I went to Dr. Lloyds site and here is an extract:

Quote:

New Ear+ Purist HD2 headphone amplifier (assembled only) uses the 5751/ECC99 tubes and passive components of the limited edition HD150 within the roomier HD chassis. The dual input and passive output jacks of the HD are retained with the addition of high and low impedance headphone outputs. Same price as the HD, which will continue production

Perhaps being in a larger enclosure it gets rid of the hum my unit and others had (components not as close).

May 30, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 11
When i decided to buy a Mapletree headphone amp, I wasn't sure which one to go: HD or HD150. Then i personally called Lloyd, which help me to decide the model. Can't remember all the conversation once it happened last year (around september/october), but he said that if i would like he could make me the first HD2. I asked about the differences and he said that both HD and HD2 sound similar, but the HD2 would sound a tiny better.
I decided to go for the HD2, once i hadn't heard of the HD2 vs HD before, so i belived in Lloyd's word and i'm not regret. The HD2 sounds perfect for my ears, BUT i've never heard the HD ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back