MAD Ear+ tubes
Apr 14, 2003 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

indigosax

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone out there have anby suggestions for tubes with this one?

I have 2 good 5751 tubes but am having trouble finding the right 12b4's. Anyone know what can be substituted?
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I know you can order the stock ones from Llyod. If you're looking to do tube rolling that's a different matter then. I'll be looking for this answer soon enough I'm sure, I should have my Ear+ built tonight.

Apr 14, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 6
indigosax: Thanks for the info! Where did you obtain your tubes???? Was recently looking for toob rolling suggestions.

In fact, I had just emailed Dr. Peppard about it. Here's his response. Quote:

I think that the input stage tube should have some sonic influence--perhaps more so than the 12B4As (which are running as cathode followers with the inherent feedback which tends to nullify differences). I have not done any critical listening with different tubes. You might want to compare the NOS USA 5751s with current production Sovteks. As for 12AX7s, there are a lot to choose from including current production. Amperex and Telefunkens are not cheap but good used ones would be fine. Also, the 7025 is a special low-noise version. So I will look forward to your results. Have fun!

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back