MAD Ear+ Troubleshooting
Oct 15, 2007 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vicomte

500+ Head-Fier
Howdy, Head-Fi. I've been horrendously busy lately, and as such haven't made much time for you lately, for which I apologize, but I find myself in need of your services once again.

I've had my MAD for several months now, purchased second-hand on the FS forums, during which time it has run impeccably and without the slightest error. Just now, after flicking the power switch and returning a few mintues later on the pretense of listeing to some music, I find it has not powered up. LED is not on, tubes aren't glowing. I check the power switch, flick it off and on again, and begin to worry. I have checked the fuse, power cables, wall outlets, changed tubes, and prayed a bit, and still nothing. Not the slightest flicker, hum, or other sign of life.

Any ideas short of ringing up the good Doctor Peppard? Should I begin sobbing and cursing my existence?

Please don't leave me, sweet maiden!
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy, Head-Fi. I've been horrendously busy lately, and as such haven't made much time for you lately, for which I apologize, but I find myself in need of your services once again.

I've had my MAD for several months now, purchased second-hand on the FS forums, during which time it has run impeccably and without the slightest error. Just now, after flicking the power switch and returning a few mintues later on the pretense of listeing to some music, I find it has not powered up. LED is not on, tubes aren't glowing. I check the power switch, flick it off and on again, and begin to worry. I have checked the fuse, power cables, wall outlets, changed tubes, and prayed a bit, and still nothing. Not the slightest flicker, hum, or other sign of life.

Any ideas short of ringing up the good Doctor Peppard? Should I begin sobbing and cursing my existence?

Please don't leave me, sweet maiden!
frown.gif

The amp uses a 0.5 amp fuse. The fuse wire is so thin it is hard to see if the fuse has blow or not. I would get another 0.5 amp fuse and see if that makes the amp come to life.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp uses a 0.5 amp fuse. The fuse wire is so thin it is hard to see if the fuse has blow or not. I would get another 0.5 amp fuse and see if that makes the amp come to life.
wink.gif

It appears the fuse actually is blown, I simply didn't pull it out far enough to see it, in my exasperation.
cool.gif
redface.gif
Needless to say, I feel much better now. I do need toget a new fuse, however, before I can resume regular listening activities.

Any idea as to how it could have went? A power surge, or something like that? Should I perhaps invest in a conditioner or some such?

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a surge protector in front of my amps, as an insurance policy. If the fuse you install works fine you are set. If it blows right away you should consider sending it to Dr. Lloyd or a technician to check it out.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 5
I had someone else pick me up some replacement fuses, but they got 250V 0.25A fuses instead of the recommended 0.5A. Any chance these will work? My apologies for the somewhat annoying questions, but I find I become less coherent the longer I go without music.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back