MAD Ear ++ or Zana Deux for RS1. Which One?
Dec 1, 2008 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jacdan

100+ Head-Fier
Gotta get a tube amp for my RS1 as solid state seems to be missing... something. Any suggestions as to which is the better amp, between the two, for the RS1? Three inputs on the amp are high priority though. Thanks.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta get a tube amp for my RS1 as solid state seems to be missing... something. Any suggestions as to which is the better amp, between the two, for the RS1? Three inputs on the amp are high priority though. Thanks.

The ZD is three times the price of the Ear+ and there are many other choices in between. A lot of tube amp choices out there will drive Grados well once you go over the $500 price point .... and there are always some excellent deals on used amps. If you have the cash the ZD is an excellent amp. But, so is the Ear+ if you are only going to be using Grados.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 13
What about the Woo Audio WA2? Has 4 inputs and supposedly drives low impedance headphones with ease. Cost is $950

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 13
I think the ZD is more than the RS-1s can use. If you are getting other hps in the future, ZD is a great all-around amp. It especially sounds good with the Senns. But if you are only trimming out the RS-1s, you can sound good with less.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 13
I have those and I think the MAD Ear + HD and the RS-1 combination of slightly better than ZD and RS-1. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I have a different listening locations where the devices are located at my house. But when I set the GS-1000 to my ears of profit taking so clearly Zana Deux that I don't miss the RS-1. So they have received the place beside the MAD Ear + HD in my bedroom set.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the replies. When I researched the issue in this forum, most of the recommendations leaned towards Ear+ for the RS1. ZD I included as it seems top of the line but it is very pricey and as mentioned probably more than is needed as I only use Grados.

That Woo Audio 2 seems like it might fit the bill and that extra input might come in handy.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 13
One of the most enjoyable experiences I have had w/ headphones was the paring of an Ear + HUD with an RS or an RS. IMO they were meant to be together. Considering you can sometimes pick an Ear + HUD for as low as $425 you can not go wrong.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 13
I bought the mad ear + for my rs1 from mrarroyo's recommendation.
It's excellent combo , no regret here.
IMO , for rs1, the Ear+HD is better than Earmax SE .

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 13
I am going to ignore all the posters above and say Zana Deux - and if something is still missing, you can go sell that RS1 and get a different headphone without even a tint of worry that amp won't suffice.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When ordering the Ear +, can they make the unit with 3 or 4 inputs? I can't determine how many inputs the standard Ear + has from their site.

I could be wrong but I think the HD usually has 2 standard inputs and 1 passive preamp output. My HD2 is equipped exactly like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back