MAD Ear+ or MG Head OTL
May 21, 2004 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KZEE

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought my first set of good headphones (HD 580's) and I need an inexpensive tube amplifier to go with them. I've narrowed it down to the MAD Ear+ or the MG Head OTL - does anyone care to weigh in on which is the better amp? Or should I spend a few extra bucks for the Single Power PPX3?

May 21, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Everyone will obviously tell you to the the PPX3.

However, from what I understand, MAD works best with low impedance and MG Head works best with high.

Right?

May 21, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 10
I have a MAD EAR+ Purist right now

It sounds fantastic.

If you are interested in getting one let me know I'm looking at purchasing the 50th special edition of the EAR+ and may be able to let mine go.

May 22, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
Everyone will obviously tell you to the the PPX3.

However, from what I understand, MAD works best with low impedance and MG Head works best with high.

Right?

Right, the MAD is often recommended as being a super match for the low impedence grados and the MG Head is touted for being synergistic with the high impedence sennheisers.
icon10.gif

Right again, another vote for the ppx3. The ppx3 is an extreme value that will drive high or low impedence headphones, quality control is not an issue and the sound quality defines the term musical, IMO.
cool.gif

May 22, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm sure the PPX3 would be a step up from the MG-Head OTL, not to mention more versatile. But I think you'll be quite happy w/ the MG-Head, especially if your primarily going to use the HD580 with it.

May 22, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 10
well, the MAD Ear+ HD is awfully good with a GE 5751. just finished building it. had a modified Purist. the building process also clarifies the theory and practice of amplifier design. very tasty.

the notion that the MAD amps are designed for Grados/32 ohm phones is not true. The Doctor has said that it was designed using the 580/600. i use the SR-325 and 56 ohm load resistors. i like the combination very much. i don't think i'll be going back to Senns any time soon.

May 23, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 10
OK then, thanks to all for your suggestions. Thanks to Sphinx for offering your Ear+, but I'm leaning towards the Single Power PPX, and will probably be ordering one in the near future.
P.S. Would someone enlighten me as to the meaning of the terms "bump", and "IMO".

May 23, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 10
bump = bring up my post

May 23, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 10
Participating in the Head-Fi forums is so much more enjoyable when one understands the vernacular (big word!)... thanks for the definitions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back