MAD Ear+ HD Still Liked for Grados? Other Suggestions?
May 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

leftnose

1000+ Head-Fier
With the release of the HF-2 (on order) and UE4s (really thinking about ordering), I am in the process of re-evaluating my systems.

Right now, I'm more concerned about my home set-up. While I am pleased with my EC/SS, I'm itching to upgrade. The last time I thought about this, the MAD Ear was the FoTM for Grados. Is this still true? How does the older Ear compare to the Ear+ HD compare to the Ear+ HD Super?

My budget is around $1K so any other suggestions would be welcome. For reference's sake, I am also looking at the GS-1.

Thanks in advance.

May 21, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 8
My Ear+ HD Super (custom) just showed up in the mail today, it's not even been running for an hour, so there's a lot of burning in to be done.

However, they are driving my GS1000i effortlessly, and looking damn good while doing it.

Ear+ HD (Super or otherwise) should definitely be on your short list.

I'm still on the fence regarding the HF-2 - I'd like to order, but part of me is telling me not to.

May 21, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 8
^^^We want pictures Grimspoon! Congrats on your new amp and love to hear your impressions on the MAD thread.

On that note, I own the MAD Ear+HD and could not be happier with the sound when pairing them with the RS1's. Tube rolling fun. I'm not sure on the older MAD Ear's internal vs. the newer Ear+HD but the Super has a higher output to be able to power two cans without any problem.

Contact Dr. Peppard if you have any questions on his amps, he will reply you asap and if you contact him, ask him about his new Ear+ prototype model. I, for one and curious if he has anything new brewing up at MAD.

May 22, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 8
To the OP, I managed to find one Ear+ HD user locally to try his amp before purchasing it. And now that I have it in the house I'm very happy indeed. However, the guy told me that he used to own the GS-1 and if he could do it all over again he wouldn't go through the trouble of selling it to get the Ear+ HD. He told me both of them were of different "flavours" so to speak. Ear+ HD adds warmth and smoothness, GS-1 has more speed and neutrality. Basically, it depends on whether you're looking at the tube sound or the SS sound but both should be on the same level.

I have heard the EC/SS a few times before, and I would call it a nice balance between the tube sound and the SS sound. I liked it very much indeed. Not sure how much improvement you will get if you change from the EC/SS to the Ear+ HD though.

@Grimspoon: Pictures please! I'm very interested in the HD250 too. Just when I got my amp he's launching a new model.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back