MAD Ear + HD as preamp?
Nov 22, 2008 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Frihed89

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried this? I spoke with Lloyd and he thought I would not have enough gain. But I was in Radioshack in the US and snagged a 1/4" plug to left and right RCA female adapter. Hooked it up to my McAlister PP power amp and it worked! I didn't really have time to listen much, but gain was not a problem. (the Mac amps are very sensitive).

Has anyone investigated this possibility and, if so, how did it sound in your system.

This is a really nice headphone amp with the right input tube. I still can't get over how nice it sounds for so little money and in such a nice compact package.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Dr. Lloyd has incorporated a passive pre-out feature in some of his head phone amps and they work remarkably well. Does yours have it? or are you trying to use the 1/4" headphone out to drive a power amp?

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr. Lloyd has incorporated a passive pre-out feature in some of his head phone amps and they work remarkably well. Does yours have it? or are you trying to use the 1/4" headphone out to drive a power amp?

Nope. I don't have that. I just plugged the adapter into the headphone output (I have high and low gain) and connected it to my amp. It made lots of noise, but i didn't have time to listen at any length.

This amp has lots of power. On its own it drives my 701s to deafening levels. even with an Ipod as a source!

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 5
You can ask Dr. Lloyd about modding the unit and adding the passive pre-amp feature.

OOPS! I just noticed you are in the EU and the S&H would be very expensive. Perhaps you can ask the good Dr. for the schematic to add the passive mod and then you can have it done locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back