::Mad Dog VS A900 - The Next Chapter?::
Apr 23, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #31 of 32
Just wanted to point out that the clamping force on the Mad Dogs can be adjusted simply by bending the metal headband. Dan demonstrates in a video on YouTube.

It was a huge issue for me at first but now they are the most comfortable headphones I've tried. I agree though that the plushness of the pads doesn't let you tilt your head very much.

May 1, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #32 of 32
Got my first real DAC, Music Streamer II, and 2nd hybrid(?) tube amp, Project Sunrise III, today.

DAC NOTES:
-MSII sounds like plain, flat CD player output, and probably duller-sounding.
-Xonar STX (RCA, stock opamps) sounds vibrant, with punchy, controlled bass & excellent clarity/detail, but still bright; much preferred over MSII.

AMP NOTES:
-PSIII gives a more tubey output, with the same tubes, than Bravo V2.
-Bravo V2 only has about a 5-10% effect; PSIII about 10-20% "coloration".
-After more comparing, I find the tube amps muddy, and the clean STX RCA output sounds best.
-I honestly can't say I notice any improvements from these amps VS un-amped; raw STX output sounds great(!) to me now...something must be very wrong here? 
confused.gif

CONCLUSION:
-For HD600, tubes = bad, and better DACS = best sound improvement so far!

So, next up, guess I'll be looking for a solid state amp(the Liquid Gold was SS!) like M-Stage or something, and, since I doubt a Modi will be any different from MSII/STX, probably a used Bifrost. Maybe the ASUS Essence One would be a better option than separate DAC/amp, knowing I love ASUS sound, and a whopping *11* opamps to jam through...

All testing done with tracks from: Mech - ZWO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back