MAD amp too spendy, need DIY suggestion
Mar 6, 2007 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MN Ham Phones

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.
I'm a long time, casual lurker, infreqquent poster. Got sidetracked with antique radio for the past year....

I want to build a tube based headphone amp.
Been watching the price of the MAD amps climb for the past year.
I *really* want one of the EarPlus purist amps, but at $500 its uncomfortable.
I know from the reviews they are worth every penny, but still, too spendy at this time. If I could still get a kit at $400, I'd order tomorrow.

I'm using a Grado 125, Etymotics ER-4P, with a Rotel RCD-1072 and an iPod. Current amp is a PPA I build over a year ago.

I've done some simple scratchbuilding on and off for 20 years. Also got some experience with tubes and high voltage supplies.

Any suggesions for DIY tube design from the various published cirucuits out there?
Has anyone tried a clone of the MAD amps by sourcing their own parts?

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 10
The best killer tube amp out there right now may be the Bijou, otherwise known as the Cavalli-Lovell-Futterman. Runeight (Alex Cavalli) is taking an interest check for boards over on Headwize right now.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm slowly working towards building an Aikido.

There is a lot to read and it is spread across many blog entries at www.tubecad.com. Brooksie sells blank boards at a reasonable price. A complete Aikido headphone amp shouldn't be too expensive but I do expect it to cost more than a PPA.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best killer tube amp out there right now may be the Bijou, otherwise known as the Cavalli-Futterman. Runeight (Alex Cavalli) is taking an interest check for boards over on Headwize right now.

if i'm not mistaken (which I very well could be, as I'm clearly a newb) the CK2II isn't a tube amp...or at least I didn't see a tube in any of the pictures or schematics

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i'm not mistaken (which I very well could be, as I'm clearly a newb) the CK2II isn't a tube amp...or at least I didn't see a tube in any of the pictures or schematics

I agree. Cavalli-Kan-Kumisa III (CKKIII) is not the Bijou/Cavalli-Lovell-Futterman. Acronyms are confusing sometimes, but the letters really do stand for something.
wink.gif

To reiterate, the Bijou is a full-throated 5-tube amp, compared with the best. Depending on parts selection, perhaps $400-$500 is the potential cost, but this might be mitigated to a lower value with careful parts selection and an economical case.

The Millett and SOHA are both hybrids. I have several copies of each and love both designs, but they are not nearly at this level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back