MacOS Users: What player with EQ and FLAC do you recommend?
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Johnpdoe2

New Head-Fier
Hi,

What are good macOS music players (I don't care about media library management) that contain a good equalizer and support FLAC?

- I have tried obviously VLC, but I find its EQ a bit lacking.
- I have tried VOX, and I like the player itself, but the subscription price to get access to the EQ seems a bit steep.
- I have tried Audirvana, and it does not seem to come with an EQ.
- I have found a couple of system wide EQ, like this and this but I am a bit wary of installing the soundflower driver, which both of them depend on, as if I remember correctly it used to mess a bit with the native audio one.

So what player do you normally use? Any recommendation? Is there a consensus of what's the top player, like foobar2000 in windows, which is what most people seem to use?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Older, subscription-free versions of Vox are available here, directly from the developer:

https://vox.rocks/mac-music-player/old-versions

I use Vox 2.8.26, and I like it, does everything I need: plays FLAC, has playlists, syncs with iTunes library (where I keep everything losslessly as ALAC) and shows iTunes covers, supports AU, has a nice EQ, and is supposed to be bit-perfect when using an external DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Ah yes - I was pleasantly surprised when I got that update a while ago. Still doesn't work perfectly - sometimes flac files freeze it. But when it works, it's great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back