MacMini + MicroDAC
Jul 26, 2005 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jerikl

500+ Head-Fier
After stopping by the recent Dallas meet, it has occurred to me that I'm missing that true feeling of involvement when listening to music through headphones. Ugh, it's really about the music for me, but why oh why did I decide to rid of my system?

So ... I'm planning on replacing what I had before, with light upgrades. I loved the sound of the MG Head OTL with the right tubes (what a great price/performance ratio!), so I'm going to replace it with an MG Head DT OTL MkIII with a sweet set of tubes. Then, I'll probably end up grabbing a pair of Sennheiser HD600s again and possibly upgrade them with an Equinox cable (used?). Or maybe, just maybe, I'll grab a pair of HD650s. Not sure about the headphone situation as I haven't kept up with things in a while. This would complete the first phase.

And on to the real question. I have a decent source that will do the job for now, but I'd really like to get away from using CDs all the time (and just use them for archival purposes) and get on to a computer with a large archive of lossless audio files (for an additional backup, too). I'll end up with a Mac Mini sooner or later, probably after the x86 switch. Until then, I'll be using my PowerBook laptop, most likely.

Would a HeadRoom Micro DAC fit snug in this environment? Anyone have any other suggestions for this piece?

My final link would look something like this:

Mac Mini (FLAC or Apple Lossless) (or PowerBook) --> Micro DAC --> MG Head --> Senn HD600's. It certainly sounds like it'd be a clean little system, but I just don't have that much experience with DACs. That would complete the second phase.

Thanks for any help!

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 2
I think you'll like that set-up .... the Micro DAC sounds absolutely wonderful, and gives you the option to use it with multiple USB sources, unlike a sound card.

Wouldn't trade mine for anything in the world! (OK, well, maybe a Meridian CDP ....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back