Mackie MR5, or other active speakers/monitors in $350 range
Jun 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Aiml3ss

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am looking to pick up a pair of active speakers/monitors to replace my Logitech Z-2300 (For sale BTW). My price range is is $300 to $350 or cheaper. I am currently looking at:

Mackie MR5
Audioengine A5
JBL LSR2325P
Yamaha HS50M

I know that the Mackie MR5 and Audioengine A5's have outstanding reviews/recommendations on these forums and on the web.

Any thoughts/suggestions or recommendations for the best speakers in that price range? Also is it smart to get a monitor compared to just a regular speakers for listening? I don't plan on mixing or making any music. I just want accurate and enjoyable music to listen to. One of these days I'll make it over to GuitarCenter to test some of these speakers out. To damn busy.

Thanks,

Andrew

BTW, thanks to all who I have PM'ed for help regarding this decision. I will eventually buy something!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Added in the Yamaha's. Thanks 1UP.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Yamaha HS50Ms, too

After doing some extensive research I've found that the Yamaha's and Mackie's are both equally recommended. A lot of people have said that the Yamaha's are very detailed but also very bright and fatiging unlike the Mackies which are also very detailed (not as much) but are more mellow and smooth sounding.

What I am worried about though is my enjoyment with music if I get a monitor. I have never listened to a monitor so maybe I am exaggerating this point. I read this about monitors vs speakers"

Quote:

actually, speakers are built to sound good with any type of audio source so that it is appealing to everyone. they hide the flaws in the audio.

monitors usually give close to exact representation of the actual audio (depending on how good they are.) they have a flat response which means they dont enhance or cut out any of the frequencies. they may not always sound better to some people because they do expose very small flaws but personally i think they sound far more superior than traditional speakers.

think of speakers as a girl with make-up on.

Is this true?

Also has anyone heard of Behringer Truth B1030A? There German made and seem to be in my price range (maybe a tad bit more).

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 22
It can be, but less so at this price range. I've heard higher-end Mackies and found them fatiguing.

These particular Yamahas are actually quite forgiving of source and lossy files. To carry on your analogy, they kind of give you beer-goggles.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

It can be, but less so at this price range. I've heard higher-end Mackies and found them fatiguing.

These particular Yamahas are actually quite forgiving of source and lossy files. To carry on your analogy, they kind of give you beer-goggles.

Do you own the Yamaha's? If you had to pick, would you choose the Mackie MR5, Yamaha HS50M or something else in that price range.

Would you choose a monitor or speaker such as the A5 for listening?

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 22
My mate has full range Mackies and I heard the Yammies a few times.

Not heard the A5s but they get good reviews from gamers.

I would definitely be happy with the Yammies at that price range; kind of depends if you have a revealing enough source.

Personally, I'm thinking of saving some more and splurging on Focal CMS50s
tongue.gif

As always, you should try and demo yourself, or get some from a vendor who offers returns. Think you can hear the Yamahas at most Guitar Centers (shudder)

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

My mate has full range Mackies and I heard the Yammies a few times.

Not heard the A5s but they get good reviews from gamers.

I would definitely be happy with the Yammies at that price range; kind of depends if you have a revealing enough source.

Personally, I'm thinking of saving some more and splurging on Focal CMS50s
tongue.gif

As always, you should try and demo yourself, or get some from a vendor who offers returns. Think you can hear the Yamahas at most Guitar Centers (shudder)

Ya I plan on heading to that horrid place tomorrow.
evil_smiley.gif

I'm leaning towards the Yammies but I'm just not sure about buying monitor. I want to enjoy music not hear its flaws!
wink_face.gif

Maybe I'll just buy the A5's. Bah, buying speakers is always fun but boy is it a pain in the ass!

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 22
I personally liked the MR5s when I heard them over the HS50Ms. I like the yamahas but they were way too bright for me. I personally love the HR624/824. One of the best active speakers I've ever heard

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A5 set is available direct from the manufacturer for $261.75 shipped with the coupon code MW09. I couldn't be happier with mine although I have not heard your other possibles so I couldn't offer much beyond praise for mine.

Only $261? Thats like $80 bucks off! Do you know how long this coupon is valid till? I leave for a trip next Saturday (10 days gone!). Maybe I should just buy em right now so I can get em before I leave. Those Bamboos fit right into my budget to.
atsmile.gif
There so sexy.

Quote:

I personally liked the MR5s when I heard them over the HS50Ms. I like the yamahas but they were way too bright for me. I personally love the HR624/824. One of the best active speakers I've ever heard

That's what I was afraid about. To damn bright, do not like that. Well see tomorrow. I wish my budget would allow for the HR624!
redface.gif

Quote:

I've been looking for the same thing you are, and my head is still spinning from all the choices. The KRK RP5 monitors are well-regarded, and Alesis also makes good stuff.

I was reading about them before. They are highly regarded but I don't see them being recommended quite as much as I do the Yammies, Mackies, or Audioengines. I have yet to see someone recommend a RP5/RP6 over anything I've listed above besides people who want that extra bass. Who knows, maybe I'll like the KRK the best tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

shuttleboi, there's just to many damn choices. I'm pretty sure we can't go wrong with any of the speakers listed above. Just wanna get the best you know?
wink_face.gif

Just came across the Behringer TRUTH B2031A. There roughly $350 also. Anyone know anything about them?

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 22
You know, I think I am just going to buy the A5's since the 25% off is an incredible value. Buy some stands and call it a day.
smile.gif

BTW, I didn't make it to Guitar Center today.
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 22
I would definitely recommend a good listen before buying since the difference between speakers will be very obvious. Hearing is believing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely recommend a good listen before buying since the difference between speakers will be very obvious. Hearing is believing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree 100%.

I wish there was another store besides Guitar Center that had these! GC sales man don't ever go away.
mad.gif

My top 3 choices right now are:

Audio Engine A5 (25% off coupon makes them $260. Incredible)
Mackie MR5
Yamaha HS50M

With the built in power supply and docking station for an ipod/mp3 player, I think that A5 blows away the other speakers I listed there. For the money, it can't be beat.

Someone prove me wrong!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm also interested in the nuances across these models. I was leaning towards the MR5s, however, was advised the bass is on the boomy side. Apparently, the HS50Ms are favored by sound engineers for its monitor qualities. Bass may be lacking, but there's an optional subwoofer. I've only listened to the A5s and was not particularly impressed with them, but they offer lots of flexible connectivity options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back