Mackie Cr3, Swan M10, or ?
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sicaudiophile

Head-Fier
Hi,
I just finished building my pc built and I'm looking to buy speakers now. I know most people say its better to get a good 2.0 and add a sub but i have head a lot of good about the m10's. Also the satellites on the m10s are the same size at the three inch monitors i have been looking at. I was wondering what would be the best for me. I currently have a rather small desk so I'm looking at four inch monitors/bookshelf speakers or 2.1 system. I would like to keep it under 150 USD. If any one can help or make a better suggestion I much appreciate it. 
Thank you In Advance,
Kevin
(P.S. I already have a good set of cans ( the Dt 990s) so no need to suggest cans)

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 9
If you are serious about sound then there is nothing in your price range from my perspective, bottom end would be something like the Fostex PM0.4 then adding a sub when you got some more cash.  Personally I think without the sub they are really lacking.  

At this price range and driver size I think you are going to be severely disappointed, or end up with some multimedia pc speakers that will make you return to your headphones.  

I know everyone has budget limits, but expecting sound like your headphones from monitors/speakers at a similar cost to headphones is unrealistic.  My advice is to think long term as speakers will last you 5+ years, possibly 15 or more, so budget accordingly.  Its worth putting away $5 a week and waiting for 6 months to a year and actually buying something that you will enjoy for their life.  

I know how easy it is to want to spend what you have and get the goodies right away. If you have $150 now and can put away $5 a week for six months you would have closer to $300 to spend and would be in the realms of good quality small monitors, then another 6months later you are close to buying a sub.

I realise this is not what you want to read, but its worth investing in real gear, rather than disposable consumer products.

As an example of what you can get for not much money (subjective):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K5   x2
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K10Sub

Total cost:- $550

Yes its three times your budget, and not what I would ideally recommend, but its a better long term investment than throwing $150 at something that will likely disappoint and will more likely sit not being used or will break within a year.  I am guessing you spent a reasonable amount buying/building your PC, and that will be out of date in 3-4 years.  Consider a speaker system is NEVER out of date if you buy something that is durable and accurate when you buy it.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 9
I have thought about that and I plan on buying the speakers first then the sub. Also I want rather small speakers because like i said my desk is small. That why I have been looking at 3 and 4 inch monitors. So would a good option be the AudioEngines or Kanto or something because I know that most good studio monitors are in the 5 inch plus range which is took big for me desk. I'm not looking for anything perfect I just want something that sounds pretty good. Thank you again for both of your inputs.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 9
There are a few companies that make smaller monitors, on the low end would be the fostex PM0.4 moving through to things like ADAM A3x, EVE SC203 or SC204 or even Genelec, but these will set you back a fair sum.  Go to a site like sweetwater or thomann and have a look at whats on offer.  Most models at this size are designed to work with a sub, and usually have matching subs within their product range.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Reviving an old thread, but I also have been looking for comparison between Mackie CR3 and Swans M10, I think with swans the advantage is that it's a non upgradable 'pretty good' sounding speakers with a sub, of course not as good as typical studio monitors, but a good option. While CR3 also had a good reputation, i think it's 3 inches aren't good enough to make it good for consumer use, as they could make use of a dedicated sub.

So if someone with experience with both could share their opinion, it would be helpful to both the OP and people who come from Google like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back