macbook with um2
Jun 8, 2006 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pikasu321

Head-Fier
Hi Guys, I recently switched from using a Dell Inispiron 9300 to a Macbook. The problem I'm having now is that my UM2s experience alot of static when plugged into the headphone out on the macbook. I had the same problem with the Dell, so I got an Echo Indigo DJ and used that instead of the onboard sound card. But since the macbook has no cardbus slot, I am no longer able to use the Indigo DJ.

What are my options for getting clean sound from the macbook? or perhaps making the um2 less sensitive?

Thanks.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 8
You could buy/build a DAC to use with the optical out of the Macbook Pro.
EDIT: If you can handle a soldering iron, you could build either the DAC201 or the DAC101 listed in my sig.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pikasu321
Hi Guys, I recently switched from using a Dell Inispiron 9300 to a Macbook. The problem I'm having now is that my UM2s experience alot of static when plugged into the headphone out on the macbook. I had the same problem with the Dell, so I got an Echo Indigo DJ and used that instead of the onboard sound card. But since the macbook has no cardbus slot, I am no longer able to use the Indigo DJ.

What are my options for getting clean sound from the macbook? or perhaps making the um2 less sensitive?

Thanks.

Congrats on the new MacBook. I've been wanting a Mac notebook for a long time due withthe optical output on it. It used to be available only for the higher priced Mac notebooks.

Choices depend on your budget and whether or not you need transportability.

Make use of that optical out with a DAC.

You can go USB per http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=lapfi
but you're much better off without USB and saving for a DAC with optical input.

I have Shure E5c, so I know about sensitivity and noise. I originally started with my Xin Super Macro, and it worked well with most sources including "noisy" sources. Then I researched and saved up for Micro DAC.

Optical input to DAC vs. USB input is clearer and cleaner, but USB is good if one doesn't have optical out.

Only issue with optical out is that DAC's with optical input can get pricey.
You have many choices based on your budget and needs.

My own experience with my iBook, I started with E5c, then got SM3, then I got MicroDAC. I already had AirPort Express, so I used the optical out on it to input to MicroDAC.

$600 for DAC and amp but I like the flexibility and transportability so much that I have no desire to upgrade and rarely listen with my iPod anymore because my rig sounds so nice to "me" ears. You can click on my pic on my sig for more info.

Congrats on the MacBook, and hope you don't have any "quality" issues. I think I'll get one in a half year. I think it's a great source for Head-Fi-ing.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Also look at TheSloth's awesome thread post #59 for upsampling info for Macs with optical outs:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136059
You can try and see if you like it if you ever get an optical DAC.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the tips guys, getting a microstack seems like a fun idea. However, even if I had the microstack, I really don't see myself carrying it with me to cafes and such (which is where I actually need to use the um2 with the macbook. At home, I use HD600s, and I don't hear any static at all with those.)

Is there anything really small that I could use dampen the noise?

Thanks again!

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Have you tried messing with the gain any? It sounds like it might be a gain issue if your HD600s are not experiencing the same problem your UM2s are. I have UM2s and also K701s; if I use the UM2s on the same gain setting as the 701s I'll hear a lot of noise and hiss. I don't know anything about Macs but maybe there's a software gain control somewhere?

BTW, you should get the Micro Stack anyway...you won't be disappointed. I have the amp and I'm saving for the DAC. Couldn't be happier with the amp, and it's really a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Analog from my turntable sounds GREAT through it.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 8
A Total Bithead is a great option giving you a USB DAC and an amp all in one small package.

Even smaller is the Tutle Beach Audio Advantage but (to my ears at least) isn't a great choice for low impedance easily driven phones. YMMV.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by akg_man701
Have you tried messing with the gain any? It sounds like it might be a gain issue if your HD600s are not experiencing the same problem your UM2s are. I have UM2s and also K701s; if I use the UM2s on the same gain setting as the 701s I'll hear a lot of noise and hiss. I don't know anything about Macs but maybe there's a software gain control somewhere?

BTW, you should get the Micro Stack anyway...you won't be disappointed. I have the amp and I'm saving for the DAC. Couldn't be happier with the amp, and it's really a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Analog from my turntable sounds GREAT through it.

It's not the gain, it's the sensitivity that make them "hissy" compared to other phones.

That's a good thing or a bad thing depending on one's source.

Glad you're enjoying your amp, you'll love the DAC.

Cheers.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jparris1
A Total Bithead is a great option giving you a USB DAC and an amp all in one small package.

Even smaller is the Tutle Beach Audio Advantage but (to my ears at least) isn't a great choice for low impedance easily driven phones. YMMV.

Yes another vote for Total Bithead.

Regarding sensitivity again, you can buy an attenuator from Shure that muffles the hiss due to poor sources and high sensitivity of phones.
However, I don't see the point of this. It's simply downgrading a very expensive phone in order to make up for an inferior source.

Fix the source, amp it, and make your um2's shine, use 'em the way they were intended for, that's what you paid for, not to just "degrade" them with unnecessary attenuators.

It's the dreaded Head-Fi curse, you buy a nice set of phones and realize you need better source files, sources, and amps because you now realize how crappy they are.

That's why it's still my opinion that people need to think about sources and amps first even before going into phones.

I've said it a million times, but a $5 sony earbud will sound great with a nice source and amp, yet it's the headphone forum that everyone goes to first despite their crappy sources and amping.

While I'm ranting, I feel newer iPods and higher SQ mp3 players are much, much better than crappy onboard soundcards and poor SQ mp3 players.

Regardless have fun, just watch your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back