MacBook stops playing audio when lid is closed
Jan 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alcyst

100+ Head-Fier
This evening I started to use my MacBook to feed a DAC. since I am using the Apple Remote app I didn't think I needed the lid open, but it turns out that closing the lid puts he laptop into some sort f power save mde, in which condition it won't play music. Is there a way of stopping the behaviour in Macs?
i could just leave the laptop open, but closing it is a bit neater, avoids dust.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 10
Not endorsing Salon or anything. But the first good article to come up on Google.

It's because you don't have a mouse, keyboard and monitor connected.

http://techtips.salon.com/disable-sleep-mode-mac-lid-closed-4809.html

Another thing you could try is turning the display brightness to 0 and closing it almost all the way so it is open just a hair. That would accomplish 90% of what you want. I don't know of a custom work-around for this issue.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 10
The default behavior for Mac laptops is to go to sleep when you close the screen. There's no built-in setting you can change to keep this from happening, but here's a freeware program that will do what you want:

http://code.google.com/p/macosx-nosleep-extension/

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Soundman;

I will try plugging in a keyboard or mouse, thanks. If Salon goes to the trouble of writing an article on this it is an real issue. 
Dr Webster, have you tried nosleep-extension. Cheaper & less space intensive than a keyboard.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
The default behavior for Mac laptops is to go to sleep when you close the screen. There's no built-in setting you can change to keep this from happening, but here's a freeware program that will do what you want:

http://code.google.com/p/macosx-nosleep-extension/

Thank you very much. I just tried it and it works perfectly well!!!

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Tried attaching a USB mouse & closing the lid. It did wake up the mac but the attached Drobo didn't fully wake-up (it seemed to try but went back to sleep) and the Mac seemed to go back to sleep when the Drobo did.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Tried attaching a USB mouse & closing the lid. It did wake up the mac but the attached Drobo didn't fully wake-up (it seemed to try but went back to sleep) and the Mac seemed to go back to sleep when the Drobo did.

Do you have your Mac set to require a password upon waking from sleep? (System Preferences -> Security & Privacy) If so, then you may need to enter a password if your Mac has gone to sleep at all, so just a mouse wouldn't be effective to wake it.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 10
I am revising my opinion of nosleep. When it is turned on with the lid closed the fan seems to run all the time. Having the lid closed, the processor on ful, with the fan on means the machine gets warm, istat nano says the CPU is upto 80c. So I think it is back to no nosleep and just leave the lid 1-2cm open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back