Macbook Pro Sound setup! (Help Please!)
Dec 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

electricity

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

Before I start my post I would like to apologise in advance for my ignorance and lack of knowledge in this field :/

Here's my current setup:

- Macbook pro
- Harmon Kardon AVR365 Amp w/ 5.1 speakers
- Sony TV with ARC

Currently, to get the audio out of my macbook to the amp, I've connected the HDMI from my Macbook to the receiver's input and another HDMI from the receiver to my Sony TV to mirror my Macbook's screen.

The problem is some of my songs (played from iTunes) tend to get cut off for the first 1-2 seconds on this setup. Trying an alternative setup by connecting my Macbook to the Sony TV (HDMI) and from the Sony TV to my receiver (Optical Cable) also produces the same problem.

However, when I try using a 3.5mm jack from my Macbook to the analog port in my receiver, this problem does not surface.

It's been months and somehow I can't get past this problem... so now I'm thinking of getting an external USB sound card (Creative) to see if it works.

If any kind soul could provide me with valuable advice (such as any other alternatives/ whether a sound card would 'degrade' the sound quality etc.) I would very much appreciate it :)

So sorry for the long post once again and thanks in advanced!
Merry Christmas!! :)

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 10
You can use an optical cable from your Mac to your receiver.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Here's my current setup: - Macbook pro
- Harmon Kardon AVR365 Amp w/ 5.1 speakers
- Sony TV with ARC
Currently, to get the audio out of my macbook to the amp, I've connected the HDMI from my Macbook to the receiver's input and another HDMI from the receiver to my Sony TV to mirror my Macbook's screen.
The problem is some of my songs (played from iTunes) tend to get cut off for the first 1-2 seconds on this setup. Trying an alternative setup by connecting my Macbook to the Sony TV (HDMI) and from the Sony TV to my receiver (Optical Cable) also produces the same problem.
However, when I try using a 3.5mm jack from my Macbook to the analog port in my receiver, this problem does not surface.
It's been months and somehow I can't get past this problem... so now I'm thinking of getting an external USB sound card (Creative) to see if it works.
If any kind soul could provide me with valuable advice (such as any other alternatives/ whether a sound card would 'degrade' the sound quality etc.) I would very much appreciate it :)
So sorry for the long post once again and thanks in advanced!
Merry Christmas!! :)

I'm guessing the HDMI "handshaking" is causing a delay, I'm guessing the Macbook & AVR-365 and Sony TV has to "agree" to the type of audio signal that is being sent thru the HDMI cable before the digital audio can pass.

I'm guess what you want is to improve the iTunes music audio quality, that is being sent from the Macbook to the AVR-365.
So what you need is an external USB DAC, not a USB sound card.
Schiit Modi USB DAC, $99.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 10
His amp will have Toslink input so a 3.5mm to Toslink cable will solve his problem for a couple of dollars....

Drew

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi everyone and thank you very much for the responses! :)

@drews - Hmm... my Macbook Pro doesn't have a native optical port... If that's what you mean? :/

@Purple Angel - Alright! Maybe I'll try that out! Thanks!

@drews - Hi again! lol. Umm... just checking, will this setup "downscale" my audio in any way? Cause I once heard from the guy who sold me the Harmon say that using the 3.5mm port tends to produce 'lower quality' sound or something like that?

@arashb - Yeap! still the same problem :frowning2:

Thanks again guys!

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10

@drews - Hmm... my Macbook Pro doesn't have a native optical port... If that's what you mean? :/

Thanks again guys!

It almost certainly DOES have a native optical port - I've owned many MacBook pros over the years and the 3.5mm jack has always been a combo analog+optical output - if you use a cable like this you get a bit-perfect digital optical ouput (up to 96Khz) to your A/V receiver (or another DAC)!

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-TOSLINK-mini-Toslink-FIBER-OPTIC-CABLE/dp/B00006LVF3

Drew

P.S. Your Harmon salesman just assumed (like you!) that the 3.5mm jack is analog-only...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back