Macbook Pro/OSX & Music
Jul 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:
I can't comment about the mac vs windows audio/recording software, but coming from a recent compsci grad, you probably won't want a windows only computer. Depending on your school, most or all of your work will be done on some kind of unix. You'll want something that can setup terminals for ssh and vnc sessions natively, meaning if you do end up going with a pc, make sure all the hardware is well supported in linux. This can all be done with windows, but the workflow isn't nearly as fluid in my opinion. You will probably have school servers used to compile your software, so you won't really need a fast computer processor-wise.

Personally, if I were you, I would go with the macbook pro (my old work macbook pro had a better headphone out than any other pc laptop i've used), though I have a thinkpad x201 now and love it. For you, I would go for the smallest/lightest computer with the highest resolution at which you can comfortably read. Good luck in school!

I tend to heavily disagree.  Especially for atleast the first two years, you'll be working in environments on your own computer.  Hell, we don't even know what he's going to be doing in school, other than Comp Sci.  That could mean Web Dev, programming, general troubleshooting (think A+/Network+ classes), and others... And that's neverminding the fact that you could virtualize those 'NIX instances on either Windows or Mac.

The only reason I'd recommend away from the MBP, is because if you want a powerful computer, you pay a huge premium, and you'll probably be running Windows 75% of the time anyway.

Quote:
Didn't we just have this thread?

P

Yes and no.  Intricacies are noteworthy in this one.  And it's not a pure Mac vs Win thread.  And I'm definitely not trying to take it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back