Macbook Pro a good source?
Jan 2, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BudmanNC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this isn't considered hijacking this thread but I'm sort of in the same situation. I just got a MacBook Pro. This is my first Mac. I still have a couple of Windows XP machines.

I have a RSA Hornet and a set of Senn. 580's that sound pretty good with my Creative Vision M, playing mp3's at 256 vbr. What I'd like to do is see what the optical out on the MacBook Pro sounds like playing flac files. I've read that VLC does well playing flac on a Mac.

Would a Headroom Micro DAC work well with my Hornet and 580's on the Mac? Would there be much benefit from getting the Micro amp and dac together?

Thanks,

Buddy

I am currently using a Micro DAC with a Hornet, and it works very well.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 25
I haven't posted in a very long time. Been looking at posts again.

I use iBook USB rig or an AirPort Express optical rig for past few years. Simply awesome.

I use the "older" HeadRoom Micro DAC with Xin amp.

USB is pretty darn good, but since you have a MacBook Pro try to take advantage of optical that's what make the MBP more expensive that the standard MacBook. Also depending on the DAC you get with optical on Mac OS X you can use upsampling. I forgot how to do this. I believe it's through MIDI or something. I learned about it from TheSloth a long time ago, but I never tried it myself.

I find optical a bit cleaner. Also sometimes USB can have ground noise/hum depending on your rig and peripherals. Which is an advantage of a laptop Head-Fi rig: The entire rig can run on battery power, for super clean power.

Having said all that, if I was to do it again as of right now, I'd definitely consider the Pico first and foremost, then the Predator based on the reviews and posts I've read. Yes, it is only USB, but the reviews and impressions are outstanding. Iron Dreamer has tested many, many full-sized DACs, and he thinks the Pico is amazing. I definitely trust his opinions and experience.

Why the Pico? Mainly cause I like small stuff. A top-quality DAC/amp that super-duper small and for about $500. And it looks sexy too which goes well with MacBook Pro. For me looks count a little bit.

Combined with IEM's this is a spectacular super transportable rig that would be extremely cheap given the quality sound and small footfprint and great looks. You can also use the Pico with iPod or any other DAP.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 25
Can I jump in here?! I also have the latest MacBoook Pro and am about to buy my first headphone, (trying to audition the Grado 325i or RS2 and the Senn 650 side-by-side.) While I will have to use the headphones straight out of the MacBook until I can afford a headphone amp, I am also wondering if I can use a Monarchy Audio 22a (it's an audiophile-grade stand-alone DAC w/ dual 20 bit Burr-Browns,) with whatever headphone amp I eventually decide on. Does a 20 bit dual Burr-Brown DAC still provide worthwhile processing? I ask because I'm new to the digital world and don't know how this older DAC compares with newest technology! Thanks in advance.
confused.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB is pretty darn good, but since you have a MacBook Pro try to take advantage of optical that's what make the MBP more expensive that the standard MacBook.

Not true. The MacBook also has digital optical input and output.

--Chris

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently using a Micro DAC with a Hornet, and it works very well.

Thanks,

I'll probably get a Mico DAC or the Ultra Micro DAC. The next decision is to play flac or convert all these files to Apple Lossless and use iTunes to play.

Thanks,

Buddy

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BudmanNC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks,

I'll probably get a Mico DAC or the Ultra Micro DAC. The next decision is to play flac or convert all these files to Apple Lossless and use iTunes to play.

Thanks,

Buddy

I installed Windows on my Mac, and used foobar2000 with the Secret Rabbit Upsamplier to play FLAC.

I know the Ultra Micro DAC performs upsampling, so I am not sure how close my combo sounds compared with Ultra Micro DAC. However, the Secret Rabbit upsamplier is pretty good.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #22 of 25
Can anyone comment on the differences between up-sampling with dedicated software (such as foobar2000/secret rabbit), dedicated hardware (headroom max DAC module, also in Micro Ultra DAC), and mac/iTunes (audio MIDI system settings)?

I've got a MacBook pro and am investigating DAC/amp options. A hardware-based up-sampler such as the headroom MAX DAC seems like it would be nice, but if I can get away with something like the Desktop Balanced amp with the balanced home DAC (no up-sampling), and do equivalent up-sampling in software, I could save a pile of cash. What do you guys think?

1st post by the way after weeks of reading - hi everyone!

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #24 of 25
it is true all in all that the Optical Out in the MBP is limited to 96 khz? I own a 2010 i5 MBP...when i bought i was sure about this...but I've read thousand of threads which tell no...
blink.gif

by the way, krmhatis, how's your Isabellina HPA connected to the MBP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back