MacBook pro, a few questions.
Aug 23, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
You can do fresh install on OSX if you like, but it is not neccessary. Why? 2 words, Time Machine! It will be shipping with the new osx, click the link below to see what it is. (you can fast forward the Apple presentation to 33:00 to watch what time machine really is)

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

I was looking at this the other day; it looks awesome. At first I thought it was something like XP's "system restore," but now I think it's much more useful than that.

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #32 of 34
is it possible to have a boot password on a mac? I know on PCs you can set it up thru the bios, so that whenever the computer starts up, you have to enter a password for it to load windows, etc. specifically, i'm asking in regards to a macbook. thanks.

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #33 of 34
Well, you generally have a password for each user account. I've read that it's much more robust than the Windows equivalent, which is supposedly easily hacked.

You can also enable the Firmware Password, but it's kind of a false sense of security, since it's easily bypassed.

If you're concerned about someone stealing it and getting access to you data, you actually want to set up a "Guest" account that has no password (you can set it up so the user has very limited access... so it can only run the web browser, for example). That way, the thief can use the Guest account to surf the web, at which point the laptop recovery software (I like this one) can do its thing.

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #34 of 34
I've decided to wait for Merom equipped MacBook Pros to come down the pipe, shouldn't be long now.

Gah, I hate waiting, but I would really rather have the 64bit chip for Leopard.

By the way, thanks for all the help! I'm sure I'll have many more questions once the computer arrives.

Edit: If you were going to buy this software package, would you buy it for OS X or XP? I ask because I've read that CS2 doesn't run well on the Intel Macs.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...?PartNo=744952

Users who are viewing this thread

Back