MacBook Pro 2019 + USB DAC = heater
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

schmalgausen

100+ Head-Fier
MBP 2019 16", Core i9, 32RAM, it's damn powerful laptop. A month or so I used its internal DAC from 1/8 socket and everything was fine. Then I decided to make a real Hi-Fi station and connected Schiit Modi 3+ (2 watt comsumption), and got a heater. Reconnected from the left USB to the right one, better but still hot, my hands feel it. The fans have min RPMs but cores are about 60-70 C.

Is it typical for MBP? I'm thinking about return to the internal DAC, really not bad by the way.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 19
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 19
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 19
1712065093365.png

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 19
I don't really monitor temps, but my fan almost never comes on. And even though I run my MBP in clamshell mode, it never really gets hot.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 19
It seems I should try another DAC.
Used a lot of computers and DACs over many decades and can't say I have experienced or heard of a DAC causing heat issues with the computer feeding it. Been totally into the Apple world last ten years. Here are the temps on a newer MBP. It runs all day long with the temps low, fans off, doing routine duty. An external DAC won't move the temps. Takes a serious workload to run the fans... You may have some other issue causing your machine to work hard and heat. On other forums Chrome is often a suspect... You don't mention the differential DAC vs no DAC? Being Intel based it is likely warm much of the time and your temps are lower than my last couple of Intel Apples. Example is AS as the world changes!

TGProMBP.jpg

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 19
However, there are a lot of claims about MacBook USB in internet. Charging, using dock stations, left vs right ports etc.
The internet is loaded with endless claims of product issues with everything under the sun. The net, I suspect, is like a megaphone with no volume limits on it. No doubt, some people make valid claims. Others, not so much. I do hope you find the solution to your issue and that it is an easy cheap one. Head-Fi members are about the best the net has to offer. In my own experiences with computers I went through many brands and many hardware failures. Lots of inconvenience, expense, dissatisfaction. Bit the bullet and spent big getting into Apple and haven't looked back. Buy once, cry once. You might find some useful info or help on Mac Rumours. Plenty of experience and knowledge hangs out there.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 19
Just received SMSL SU-1, XMOS instead of Unison USB chip. The same story - 0% CPU load but +15 Celsius on cores. Also I did some tests with other USB devices like external SSD, flash etc and can confirm than ANY USB activity makes cores hotter.

I don’t know how you guys avoid it. The most popular solution is go to ARM models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back