MacBook Pro 2011 + Sennheiser HD 598; adding Fiio E7 worth it?
Jun 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Meroigo

New Head-Fier
Hey, my first post here, and I'm kind of a nooblet in the audio area, so please be kind! I've been lurking a lot here while researching audio stuff the past couple of week; thanks for writing such informative posts! :)

As I'm asking in the topic; would it be worth getting a Fiio E7 for use with MacBook Pro Early 2011 and Sennheiser HD 598? I've read several times while researching that the MacBook Pro lately has pretty nice integrated sound for being laptops, which makes it harder for me to decide.

I can also see in HD 598 graphs that the impedance is pretty high in the bass frequencies, but my MacBook Pro can produce pretty high volumes without an external amp... and I can't find anywhere on the internet specifically how many ohms MacBook Pro 2011 can output, so it's hard for me to try to imagine how much I'm missing from the bass, if any...

It sounds pretty nice right now, but I wonder if it will sound so much nicer if I got an E7 that I would think "no, I need to plug in my E7..." if I listen to music without it?

Also, if someone has other recommendations than Fiio E7, feel free to tell me (I might even accept a non-portable one, because I will never listen with my HD 598 outside of my home)! I might also go some tens of dollars over the E7 price, if the difference in sound quality is noticeably better. :)

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hey, my first post here, and I'm kind of a nooblet in the audio area, so please be kind! I've been lurking a lot here while researching audio stuff the past couple of week; thanks for writing such informative posts! :)

As I'm asking in the topic; would it be worth getting a Fiio E7 for use with MacBook Pro Early 2011 and Sennheiser HD 598? I've read several times while researching that the MacBook Pro lately has pretty nice integrated sound for being laptops, which makes it harder for me to decide.

I can also see in HD 598 graphs that the impedance is pretty high in the bass frequencies, but my MacBook Pro can produce pretty high volumes without an external amp... and I can't find anywhere on the internet specifically how many ohms MacBook Pro 2011 can output, so it's hard for me to try to imagine how much I'm missing from the bass, if any...

It sounds pretty nice right now, but I wonder if it will sound so much nicer if I got an E7 that I would think "no, I need to plug in my E7..." if I listen to music without it?

Also, if someone has other recommendations than Fiio E7, feel free to tell me (I might even accept a non-portable one, because I will never listen with my HD 598 outside of my home)! I might also go some tens of dollars over the E7 price, if the difference in sound quality is noticeably better. :)

DAC Destoryer, USB DAC, $50 (sold on eBay)
Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($65)
Little Dot 1+ Hybrid headphone amplifier ($150)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back