Macbook optical out and Little Dot DAC_II Problem.
Jul 14, 2010 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Fungee

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, just picked up a toslink cable to see if i'd like the optical out from my macbook more than the usb. However when hooking it up to my little dot DAC_II it just reads no input, despite the macbook showing digital output under system preferences. I tried a friend's macbook, which behaved in the same way.

Any ideas? I e-mail David but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 3
Is there red light coming out of the toslink cable on the dac end before you plug it into the dac?

And you are using a mini Toslink cable on the MAcbook end and regular on the dac end right? 

Is the Mini Toslink end all the way in the headphone out opening on the Macbook?

Did you make sure the song is playing in itunes and did you change the midi setting from USB to built in output and is it set to default?  Make sure that after you change the midi setting you close and restart itunes to ensure this change takes effect!

If all the above are correct then you may have a fault with the toslink receive in the DAC.

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 3
bixby, thanks for the response.

there's no red light coming out of the cable

i'm using the correct cable, in the correct fashion (mini into the mac, regular into the dac)

itunes is playing.

the midi settings seem to change automatically, with no usb plugged in I see built-in output as the only option, it shows digital out as the source if i have the toslink plugged in, if i remove it switches to internal speakers. I don't see any settings for what is/isn't default.

does the lack of red light mean i've damaged my macbook audio jack somehow?

everyone on head-fi seems to suggest getting a new cable when the light isn't apparent, this is the second cable i've tried. and I have successfully used toslink with my mac before (albeit years ago)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back