macbook/macmini networking question.......sorry but i got n ochoice
May 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
i know that this is not a mac forum but itried to google this thing up and found no answers. ive done all the necessary steps like choosing a folder to share and the accounts that will have acess to thoose "shared folder". i was able to suceffully place my macbook in my network and the macmini detected right away. my problem is that my macbook cant detect my macmini. when i go to a finder page there is no computer shown under "shared" categorie. im really lost.

basicaly what i want is to acess my macmini through my laptop using 'file sharing" aswell as screen sharing" btw like i said, i was able t do this through my macmini but not with my laptop.
thanks in advance.

May 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 6
What are you using to connect? Direct cable? Router?

All I can tell you is that this often happen randomly with no real cause. You can not do anything about it, and the next time you try to access the other computer, it'll automatically pop up. I know because I get this problem a lot.

Using bluetooth (send file by bluetooth) is a lot more reliable, but not as fast as Ethernet or Firewire.

If you post in a real mac forum with real mac experts, you can probably get better answers though.

May 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 6
If you're running Leopard on your Macs, then be sure to go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall and check the radio button for Set access for specific services and applications. Above the list of whatever applications have rules set here, you should see File Sharing (AFP).

If things still don't work, you should still be able to access one computer from another by using the Finder's Go > Connect to Server menu and typing the LAN IP or the computer name for the computer to which you'd like to connect.

FYI, there is no need to mess with any Bonjour settings in OS X, since AFP is built into the operating system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back