MacBook Air Sound Quality?
Sep 1, 2008 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

iKonoKlast

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if any of you have tried the headphone out port on the MacBook Air and if the sound quality is comparable to the MacBook/MacBook Pro's. I know that the MacBook Air does not have digital out but I'm wondering if the sound card built in is still okay.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No builtin laptop soundcard is okay if you asking on head-fi..

Laptop integrated soundcards usually have the same features as desktop integrated soundcards.

It should be fine if he only listen to music.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 29
No builtin laptop or desktop integrated soundcard is okay if you asking on head-fi..

Quote:

if he only listen to music.

IF ONLY?? That is where highest requirements are required.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 29
really ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 29
I own an air, but it is not my main source. If it was going to be, I'd definitely just go with a USB DAC. It's worth the $100 to get that much better of sound.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 29
on board sound on a laptop or desktop is dire IMO. I use a the optical out from my X-Fi to a DAC on my desktop and a USB DAC on my laptop

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 29
For the same money, wouldn't you get one of the other Macbooks if music is your focus? I would if for no other reason than they have optical out and the MIDI can be set at higher resolution than the USB out.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 29
The main problem of Macbook air is it has only one USB port if i am right..

due this this u wont be able to power a Dedicated USB soundcard if u plan to use other USB devices via USB HUB.

if could use AC powered USB hubs at home

and for travelling get an iPod Classic.. they are damn affordable now.

And yes.. Integrated soundcards are terrible..many also have noise in them.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yes.. Integrated soundcards are terrible..many also have noise in them.

Do you have any proof? For most audio, integrated works fine unless you want EAX.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 29
Nobody has answered my original post yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering if any of you have tried the headphone out port on the MacBook Air and if the sound quality is comparable to the MacBook/MacBook Pro's.

If you haven't tried the headphone out of the MacBook Air and can't compare it to the MacBook/MacBook Pro's, I don't need you to reply. The MacBook/MacBook Pro's headphone out sounds as good as or better than most cheap external DACs out there. Macs generally don't have the typical on-board crappy sound that most PCs have, and I'm wondering if the same applies for the MacBook Air.

Again, if you're not a Mac user, please don't reply or else you are misleading others.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 29
I'm gonna reply anyway, even tho I don't have a Mac atm. I know for a fact Macbooks have better sound than PC's have.

So you're telling the truth, however I don't like your comment about PC soundcards being "crappy" most integrated soundcards are same as dedicated soundcards in terms of performance for music.

But if you wanna use EAX or digital out SPDIF then both a mac soundcard and pc soundcard are crap, both and you'll need a dedicated soundcard.

Amplifiers however is used based on the impedance, bigger impedance then an amplifier is needed. If your headphone has low impedance and you just listed to music on your comp then an integrated is fine and an amplifier is not needed.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 29
iKonoKlast, I haven't heard the Air but the onboard crappy sound on most PC laptops use the same chipset as the intel based Mac laptops and iMacs. It's commonly called the "Intel High Definition Audio". Amplification may be another matter but I have experienced interference, random chirps and beeping on a SantaRosa based MacBook Pro. It doesn't happen on all units. I just got lucky. :/

The PowerPC PowerBooks on the other hand was dead silent. Very clean but as with all laptops, the amplification wasn't optimal for good headphone listening. It's still good but a dedicated amp just takes it there to that last 2%.

You could try popping into an Apple Store and test them all out. Bring a USB flash drive and import a test track.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back