MacaW GT100s(inverted dynamic driver) impressions thread
Aug 15, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #107 of 235
Are there any better options under 100$ now?
Only over the ear style so no e80

I'll throw the JVC HA-FXH30 out as a suggestion. Bought a pair for 64 Canadian dollars. I would say they are easily as good, if not better than, the Titan 1. Since the Macaws compare well with those, the FXH30 would be right in the mix. They are also worn just as easily cable down or with the cable behind the ear.

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #108 of 235
Are there any reviews of
I'll throw the JVC HA-FXH30 out as a suggestion. Bought a pair for 64 Canadian dollars. I would say they are easily as good, if not better than, the Titan 1. Since the Macaws compare well with those, the FXH30 would be right in the mix. They are also worn just as easily cable down or with the cable behind the ear.
?
My main use of iems are gym weight lifting... And travel.
How are the fxh 30 in terms of BQ, isolation, comfort?
The macaws real premium and tank bq

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #109 of 235
Are there any reviews of
?
My main use of iems are gym weight lifting... And travel.
How are the fxh 30 in terms of BQ, isolation, comfort?
The macaws real premium and tank bq

They're unproven. New product. No reviews that I could find. Decided to be the guinea pig and test them out. Turns out I got lucky and they're stellar.

Build quality seems fine, the cable has proven itself over the years through use on many other JVC products, but like you said, the Macaws are tanks. The FXH30 are not.

Isolation is good. They're an in-canal iem with the driver mounted in the tip. If you sweat a lot while doing weights its definitely possible that could affect them.

Comfort is excellent. They weigh next to nothing and have stabilizing fins that are actually useful (I at first thought felt they would be a gimmick).

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #110 of 235
I dunno, mine aren't the same size. Maybe they got them mixed up with some of the RHA filters or something.
(same order)

Well I guess MacaW must really be the OEM for RHA. That would explain why these sounds so damn good - they're not actually MacaW's first IEM. I've already had Penon send me a gold filter, may as well as see about getting the silvers that were intended for this earphone in the first place.

I just received my MacaW's from Massdrop and they do sound good, but the silver filters, like yours, are shorter than the black and gold filters. I wouldn't care, but I can't get a good seal with the shorter silver filters when compared to the other two, I assume because of the depth of insertion. So, my question is, how can I get the correct silver filters for these earphones?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #111 of 235
Based quite a bit on all of the comments here (for which I am grateful by the way) I recently picked up a pair of these. I had been using Steel Series Flux in ears, which I loved, but they broke and I wanted something more durable. So far I have only a couple complaints. First, being ridiculously heavy and large, they are nowhere as comfortable as my old steel series. So I can't wear these for more than, say, 2.5 to 3 hours before my ears start to hurt a little. Second, the mid-high end is a little harsh for my liking. This is more of a personal preference though. Over all, the sound from these is amazing. 

I do have one question for all of the other people who have bought them however. In he package I received I found 6 silicone tips in the standard small, medium, and large sizes. None of these tips seems to be able to fit onto the Macaw however. The black silicone tips that came attached to the IEMs do fit and can be visually seen to have a different size hole to fit around the filters on the Macaw. The semi transparent tips (the other six that came in package) holes are smaller and cannot seem to be fit on them at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #113 of 235
Based quite a bit on all of the comments here (for which I am grateful by the way) I recently picked up a pair of these. I had been using Steel Series Flux in ears, which I loved, but they broke and I wanted something more durable. So far I have only a couple complaints. First, being ridiculously heavy and large, they are nowhere as comfortable as my old steel series. So I can't wear these for more than, say, 2.5 to 3 hours before my ears start to hurt a little. Second, the mid-high end is a little harsh for my liking. This is more of a personal preference though. Over all, the sound from these is amazing. 

I do have one question for all of the other people who have bought them however. In he package I received I found 6 silicone tips in the standard small, medium, and large sizes. None of these tips seems to be able to fit onto the Macaw however. The black silicone tips that came attached to the IEMs do fit and can be visually seen to have a different size hole to fit around the filters on the Macaw. The semi transparent tips (the other six that came in package) holes are smaller and cannot seem to be fit on them at all. Has anyone else experienced this?
None of the clear tips fit. I'm using the foam ones that came with them. They work great for me.

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #115 of 235
So, I got my Macaws from Massdrop recently, and I must say I'm pretty impressed. Comfort has not been an issue in the least. I honestly forget they are there, but I do have larger than average ears. The soundstage and instrument separation is fantastic. I do have a couple small gripes, however. To describe the highs as pronounced is an understatement. My first hour of listening gave me a major headache. I've seen some speak of different "tastes" in sound, but I have no idea how anyone could like highs so shrill. Some EQ adjustment helped tremendously. Music that is guitar, distortion, or shred heavy is not that enjoyable IMO. These things really shine with electronica. I listen to a lot of glitch, ambient, and smooth electronic. I started listening to Caribou's last album (Our Love), and I couldn't stop listening. I'm not familiar with terminology, but there are certain frequencies at the mid to low end where I hear a good bit of distortion. It's strange because it shows up at very specific frequencies that are neither at the lowest or highest end. I'm curious as to whether others have experienced this. My final gripe is that none of the clear tips that came with them fit at all. I'm using the foam tips that were included, and they are great so far. It should be noted that I'm listening to these through my iPhone 5, and I get plenty of volume. I can listen to them turned all the way up, but wouldn't recommend it.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #117 of 235

They do fit.  You have to slip it on gently at first, and then forcefully jam it in fully once you've got it seated around most of the filter.

I was worried about the silicone tips after reading your post, but I was able to install it on them with no problems, by slowly increase the force to make the tips fit on there.

I am a little upset that one of the black filters is missing the tiny O-ring, you'd think they'd do a little more quality checking for these pricier earphones.

They do sound great, but I'm really lacking the bass... I'm too much of a basshead I think. But I will enjoy these for the clarity and hi-fi sound.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #118 of 235
So, I got my Macaws from Massdrop recently, and I must say I'm pretty impressed. Comfort has not been an issue in the least. I honestly forget they are there, but I do have larger than average ears. The soundstage and instrument separation is fantastic. I do have a couple small gripes, however. To describe the highs as pronounced is an understatement. My first hour of listening gave me a major headache. I've seen some speak of different "tastes" in sound, but I have no idea how anyone could like highs so shrill. Some EQ adjustment helped tremendously. Music that is guitar, distortion, or shred heavy is not that enjoyable IMO. These things really shine with electronica. I listen to a lot of glitch, ambient, and smooth electronic. I started listening to Caribou's last album (Our Love), and I couldn't stop listening. I'm not familiar with terminology, but there are certain frequencies at the mid to low end where I hear a good bit of distortion. It's strange because it shows up at very specific frequencies that are neither at the lowest or highest end. I'm curious as to whether others have experienced this. My final gripe is that none of the clear tips that came with them fit at all. I'm using the foam tips that were included, and they are great so far. It should be noted that I'm listening to these through my iPhone 5, and I get plenty of volume. I can listen to them turned all the way up, but wouldn't recommend it.

The clear tips do fit.  Read my post above.  I'm surprised you guys are having that much trouble.

Slowly slip it on, then jam it on and voila the white silicone buds stick on.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #119 of 235
I just received my MacaW's from Massdrop and they do sound good, but the silver filters, like yours, are shorter than the black and gold filters. I wouldn't care, but I can't get a good seal with the shorter silver filters when compared to the other two, I assume because of the depth of insertion. So, my question is, how can I get the correct silver filters for these earphones?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Interesting, my massdrop silver ones are the same height as the other filters... but my black filters are missing an O-ring.

Quality control is not the best I guess, in terms of the accessories.  

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #120 of 235
I don't know how you'd go about getting proper silver filters if you got them off Massdrop. In my case I contacted the eBay seller which I believe is Penon. Not entirely certain though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back