mac vs pc?
Feb 4, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #46 of 103
"Don't believe the hype" - go PC. Much better value for your dollar.
L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #47 of 103
I have a pretty good idea of the price difference. For arguments sake, the i5 windows system I was putting together, but using one ATI 5850 instead of crossfire:

System Builder Marathon, Dec. 2009: $1,300 Enthusiast PC : System Builder Marathon: $1,300 Enthusiast System - Review Tom's Hardware

with Canadian price premium/availability issues, I could build that pc for around $1400 with a single video card. Add on a legit version of windows 7, and a comparable monitor, and the price will be around $1800.

the 27" iMac with i5 core goes for $2100 in Canada. With the employee discount of 15% and the extended warranty, the price difference is not significant.

I have no need for blu-ray play back, since I already have a ps3. I don't buy or rent movies anyways, a bigger consideration is the ability to stream mkv files to my ps3/home theater in the next room.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #48 of 103
Hmm... any software that can use the GPU for processing? If so, then the PC is definitely the way to go.. GPU assisted rendering would blow away any CPU rendering. I know the Radeons' GPU can be used to Transcode.. but what about encoding..?

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #49 of 103
You know you want to to so just do it. Buy Mac. It doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks. You buy a PC you are going to wish you had a bought a Mac. If you buy a Mac and decide you don't like it you can sell it for a small loss but at least you will know for sure.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #50 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Don't believe the hype" - go PC. Much better value for your dollar.
L3000.gif

It really depends on what you value in a computer if a PC is a better value. I have 2 Macs and 1 PC and I use them both frequently. I find Windows so frustrating sometimes just because it makes some tasks so much more difficult than they need to be. In my opinion OSX is a much smoother running operating system, my Imac almost never crashes or freezes up, I cannot say the same for my pc. Everything I need to do is available on my Mac, especially when I can run Window's in bootcamp. I was used to only using pcs for the last 15 years or so, but once I started using a mac a few years ago, I was hooked, I finally found an OS that works the way I want it to. So, imo it really depends on what you value in a computer if a Mac is worth it or not. If you only care about gaming or having the fastest processor available then, yes it's cheaper to get a pc. But if you are like me and just want something that is a pleasure to use, and just works and don't mind paying a little extra for it then a Mac is the way to go. I can definitely see the value of both the Mac and the PC camps, but myself I much prefer the Mac side.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #51 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... any software that can use the GPU for processing? If so, then the PC is definitely the way to go.. GPU assisted rendering would blow away any CPU rendering. I know the Radeons' GPU can be used to Transcode.. but what about encoding..?

I'd be interested in knowing this too, if anyone has had any experience. I know After Effects was the biggest candidate for a more streamlined use of the GPU, but all I've seen done is for rendering previews on the fly.

As for buying parts for a PC: Newegg is great and all, but if you have used head-fi FS forum, you should know very well how useful used options are. $1500 for parts + one week of shopping and you can easily save $300 without trying too hard. I've always done that. Also just shopping around on other websites makes a big difference. $10-15 here and there, on almost 10 components is $100-$150. Factor in used stuff, easy enough to find for 10%-30% off. Sometimes you just find a killer deal that saves you $50. It really adds up. If I had $1500 to spend, I figure my final total should be about $1100 (of course you could justify getting better components, but quite honestly, computer tech depreciates too fast to really see the merit, from my experience)

If you can get your Mac for a fairly similar price, and just want to get it and go with it, pull the trigger! Some times the extra money you saved with a PC is paying for all the headaches they can cause. I've had my share, let me tell you! But after enough headaches, you become virtually immune and even the worst case scenario isn't a sweat.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #52 of 103
Quote:

I find Windows so frustrating sometimes just because it makes some tasks so much more difficult than they need to be. In my opinion OSX is a much smoother running operating system, my Imac almost never crashes or freezes up, I cannot say the same for my pc.

Are you using windows 7?

Heck, I'm still using a BETA version of windows 7 on my laptop. It hasn't crashed since the day I installed it.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #53 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using windows 7?

Heck, I'm still using a BETA version of windows 7 on my laptop. It hasn't crashed since the day I installed it.

I actually have two pc's, one is a netbook with window's 7 and the other is a Compaq laptop still running Vista. I absolutely hate Vista, it always freezes up, and needs to be restarted because it's running sluggish. The netbook running Window's 7 is definitely better than Vista, but for me, I still would choose Snow Leopard over Window's 7 any day.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #54 of 103
I'm running XP, and a full crash/lock up is rare, and can usually be fixed by updating my drivers and codecs. I personally would consider going Apple if it it were less expensive and I stopped gaming.

Quote:

I absolutely hate Vista, it always freezes up, and needs to be restarted because it's running sluggish

That is not normal, have you installed all the OS updates, removed whatever bloat possible, and are running the proper antimalware? The system could also be underpowered.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #55 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find Windows so frustrating sometimes just because it makes some tasks so much more difficult than they need to be.

I have never understood this comment, what is so much easier on a Mac than a PC? and be specific. And dont give me the it crashes and freezes bs because thats ur problem not a PC problem. I have run windows my whole life and have only had it crash on me maybe 5 times, and only had one virus that caused me to reformat. And now tell me why should I switch to an OS that is highly unsupported in the real world, and is only used for personal use.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #56 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never understood this comment, what is so much easier on a Mac than a PC? and be specific. And dont give me the it crashes and freezes bs because thats ur problem not a PC problem. I have run windows my whole life and have only had it crash on me maybe 5 times, and only had one virus that caused me to reformat. And now tell me why should I switch to an OS that is highly unsupported in the real world, and is only used for personal use.

In my opinion, it's really just a combination of a lot of little things that make OSX a cleaner and smoother running OS. For example when you are installing an application, you run a executable file, then you point it where you want it to install, then you go to c/program files and find the correct .exe file to run the program, then if you want to delete the program you either have to run an uninst.exe or go into control panel add/remove programs to make sure it is properly removed. On a Mac when you download an application you get a .dmg file, which to install you just drag it into the applications folder and you are done, if you want to delete it drag it to the trash and every trace of it is gone, simple as that. OSX is just more polished you don't have to look at all of the file extensions because it's just not necessary. Also there is far less viruses/malware for OSX than for Window's, and it isn't bs for me to say that my mac crashes less than my pc because that is my experience with them, and no it is not my fault. Many of the things you can do on a pc you can do just as well on a mac, and if there is anything that you just cannot do with OSX then you boot into Window's 7 using bootcamp and you are all set. I'm not trying to convert anyone here, I'm just stating my experience/preference, it definitely isn't for everyone, but for me Mac is definitely the better choice.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #57 of 103
Quote:

Also there is far less viruses/malware for OSX than for Window's, and it isn't bs for me to say that my mac crashes less than my pc because that is my experience with them, and no it is not my fault.

It is either you or your machine's fault if it's crashing so often. There are people running Vista flawlessly, included members here. My guess is that you either bought an underpowered, poorly optimized machine; aren't maintaining the OS and software properly; or your lappy is just faulty (or possibly a mixture of all three). As for viruses, that is a valid concern but there are great (free) anti malware programs that essentially make them a non-issue for the most part.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #58 of 103
popcorn.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #59 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a Mac when you download an application you get a .dmg file, which to install you just drag it into the applications folder and you are done, if you want to delete it drag it to the trash and every trace of it is gone, simple as that.

Er, not quite true. You're leaving pieces in your System folder ... which you may or may not ever be able to find. Depends if the developers want to let you. For instance, if a program is a trial program, you just can't throw it away and start anew. Yeah, those installers arent putting it ALL in your hands.

I like mac, I like PC. I have Windows 7 and it reminds of me OS9 on a mac.
smily_headphones1.gif
Macs are solid, no doubt. But now that I'm goofing around with Windows, it does seem like you have a bit more control.

AS FAR AS BUILDING. Sure you can get all those parts cheaper, but, come on, you're going to have more headaches with a FrankenPC for sure. Unless you're very, very lucky or a very, very good builder. Whenever I take on a "project" be it home construction, electronics, guitar, audio .. whatever... there's always one little piece of the puzzle that goes KABOOM. "Hey, where'd this extra screw come from?"

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #60 of 103
I would have to say PC but that is because of my past experience with Macs. Throughout most of my K-12 experience, I had experienced nothing but problems with Macs. They would consistently crash one me when I did my papers and a lot of time files would disappear out of thin air.

They are most likely different today and have much better functionality. But because of the past, they left me with a bad aftertaste. I don't think I will be going back to a Mac in this lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back