mac vs pc?
Feb 3, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #31 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Macs are obviously better at video/audio editing than a PC

If it was the 20th century that's not true anymore, it's about the same for both platforms, don't feel like commenting on the rest of your comment

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #32 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it was the 20th century that's not true anymore, it's about the same for both platforms, don't feel like commenting on the rest of your comment

Had to comment on it to eh? lol It's so true though. Some of the most furious threads I've read in forums have been from the very topic of Video Editing platform. I like Head-fi as it is...

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #33 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's the windows standard video editor? Is it Premiere on Windows and Final Cut on Mac?

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #34 of 103
I use Cyberlink Powerdirector but i have Premiere haven't really tried it out yet
There's no real standard since there are a lot of choices, but this is for another thread like HeyItsbattlekid said

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #35 of 103
Can't really say there is a standard. I've had my fair use of Sony Vegas. While very intuitive and quicker than Premiere or Final Cut, it feels very limited. Sony has also been doing a major face lift on Vegas these past few versions, so I wouldn't get involved with them until they settle down a bit.

It really comes down to what software best coincides with a person's flow. Final Cut is not the best editor for everyone and every task. In general, it does a lot right and does it well (actually A LOT RIGHT, and DOES IT WELL) FCP or FCS as a whole (as most Apple software) has it down pretty well when it comes to intuitive. It also is has fewer limits compared to many Windows editors. I spend most of my time in After Effects, and for that, Premiere is almost a no brainer, especially on a PC (where you don't have the option of Final Cut). Though in all fairness, Final Cut is basically a brainchild of Premiere in a way, you could say.

If you are truly proficient with a program, use it. I've used After Effects for things I could have done in Photoshop (though I really need to learn Photoshop better, for in the long run) or Premiere, but with my knowledge set in Photoshop or Premiere, I would get it done much faster in After Effects. Granted, yes I need a kick in the arse to get Photoshop and Premiere down. Whatever you choose and works for you, become good at it and it will gladly repay you.

For me, what small benefits I will gain from switching to Final Cut is not worth it to swap platforms. I don't do enough important work in Premiere to switch over. I will mostly do After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Flash. I think I have way more enough on my plate as it is. Though, I have always been curious to try out Apple's Motion.

Work flow is what it is all about. I have an odd way of doing things, it's systematic and it's just the way I work. I want to see Apple push more products out though, as Adobe has stepped up their game but could definitely do more. And that's all I want to say about this, as I'll do what ever it takes to keep this thread from becoming a PC/MAC Editing Platform behemoth monster blackhole abyss thread
biggrin.gif
It's preference, PC and Mac both win, Yay yay, everyone is a winner!

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #36 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac, if you're willing to give up gaming and overclocking. Macs are obviously better at video/audio editing than a PC and mac doesnt get viruses and is very hard to hack into. You cant really tell a difference between a macbook laptop with 2.2 ghz core 2 duo (2 processors) with an Alienware gaming desktop with 3.0 ghz dual quad (8 processors) if you're NOT playing any games and if you're ONLY watching movies, surfing the web, editing videos and doing 90% of the stuff you're doing every day. Macs are also easier to use and setup than a pc.

8 cores and 12 gigs of ram in a true 64-bit environment (which includes the apps) blows the doors off a dual core 4gb stuck in 32-bit mode for the editing software (final cut and adobe are still stuck in 32-bit on mac). When you start packing that much hardware for serious editing, that's when Macs start to fall flat on their face for their inability to accommodate such hardware without insane costs.

Mac has Final Cut, but otherwise Windows has almost unlimited choices in editing software. If I were serious about editing, I would load up a PC with a fast quad core CPU and lots of ram, then let my editing software use as much ram as humanly possible while pushing all 4 cores to their limit.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #37 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, I've used OS X a decent bit, and drives me nuts. No right click especially (I know you can press the option key, but that's a pain).

Macs have had right click for years, but it is one of Windows' innovations
devil_face.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by darcyb62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OS X has its quirks and I would be lying if I said it never locked up on me but I do prefer it over Windows. And I do have VMWare Fusion and windows installed for the few apps I still like to use that are not available on the Mac.

Agreed. Every OS Sucks (great song btw, if you can find it); Macs just suck the least. Mainly because of a lack of driver issues, malware, spyware, and viruses
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #39 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. Every OS Sucks (great song btw, if you can find it); Macs just suck the least. Mainly because of a lack of driver issues, malware, spyware, and viruses
beerchug.gif

I agree with this sentiment, but I'd pose it that all operating systems are pretty good these days, but for the reasons above macs are a little easier. I was a long time mac fanboy, but their pricing drove me to buy a souped up PC laptop which I love. Half the price of a comparable mac. I also had a bad run of macs. An emac died after 14 months (but to their credit they fixed it after I ranted and raved beyond the Apple Store morons all the way up to S. Jobs' office), an ibook died in 2 1/2 years. Some people might say it was time for an upgrade, I say for over a grand ANY piece of equipment better be serving me for 5-6 years.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #40 of 103
Quote:

Macs have had right click for years, but it is one of Windows' innovations

But they generally come with single button mouses (especially the laptops).

RE video editing: Don't forget Avid (both PC and mac)- that's serious pro stuff.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #41 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they generally come with single button mouses (especially the laptops).

RE video editing: Don't forget Avid (both PC and mac)- that's serious pro stuff.

Avid runs on a Mac too?? That's news to me, but mainly because I only see AVID here at my college on a bunch of Dells.

Everybody here hates AVID, and especially the server that it runs on (ISIS, I think); it erases people's projects whenever it feels like it.
confused_face.gif

I personally first used Windows Movie Maker when I just needed the bare stuff like cutting but now I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, and it's pretty much everything I need, and definitely more.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #42 of 103
I guess that the office problem is on macs as well, as it is the same program.
The big disadvantages of the iMac is that everything is built in in the screen. What happens if something breaks? Will the components be cool enough and will the computer run silently? Will it be upgradable? Does 1hdd satisfy the needs?

I like the normal PC computer with a box standing on the floor ready for any hardware related problem/upgrade. Possibility to buy good cooling so the system will run cool and silent. Having the room for 4 dvd-readers if I want to.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #44 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avid runs on a Mac too?? That's news to me, but mainly because I only see AVID here at my college on a bunch of Dells.

Everybody here hates AVID, and especially the server that it runs on (ISIS, I think); it erases people's projects whenever it feels like it.
confused_face.gif

I personally first used Windows Movie Maker when I just needed the bare stuff like cutting but now I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, and it's pretty much everything I need, and definitely more.

Yeah, mixed reviews on Avid. I've played around with it, but it is really an exclusive piece of software. I'm glad Final Cut is eating its way into the film/commercial video field so much because Avid has monopolized (and continues to do so in certain fields) much of the film making industry.

Premiere Pro is more than enough for anyone, professionals included. CS4 is a big step for Adobe, though not as big as CS3 was, I'm just really curious what CS5 will look like. Here is hoping for a full 64bit software suite
biggrin.gif

Off topic a bit, I haven't checked in a while as to where the whole hackintosh support is at. If it's still kickin and supported, I encourage any Mac users to go at building a computer with Leopard on it! It's quite rewarding!

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #45 of 103
Just for kicks, I put together a system for the OP. All from Newegg (For convenience)

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$159
CPU (Core i7) Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$288
CPU cooler (for overclocking): Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
$38
Ram (6gb Ddr3): Newegg.com - GeIL EVO ONE 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Desktop Memory Model GE36GB1333C9TC - Desktop Memory
$155
PSU- corsair 750w: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
$100
Video Card AT 5770: Newegg.com - HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$150
Case- silver stone media center: Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8mm SECC body GD01B-R ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - HTPC / Media Center Cases
$120
HDD- 1 tb: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$100
Blue-ray drive/DVD burner:Newegg.com - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Blu-Ray Drives
$100
Keyboard/mouse (logitech cordless laser):Newegg.com - Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 310 Laser - Keyboards
$50
Monitor- 28 inch: Newegg.com - Hanns·G HH-281HPB Black 28" 3ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(800:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
$330

Total
$1590

Now lets look at a mac with similar performance: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDc3ODQ

$3648

Smaller monitor, no blue ray. Yeah, it's got a xeon, but the Oced i7 will beat the pants off it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back