Mac users, what are your media players?
May 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #91 of 108
I use iTunes on the Mac for MP3, AAC and ALAC.  If I listen to FLAC on the machine, it is typically through XBMC, although VLC is used in a pinch.  Video is through XBMC, and audio conversion is with XLD.

As for the derailed portion of this thread.

Asus vs Macbook Pro:
Battery Life: 2.5 vs 8.5 (sure Asus is removable, but going to carry around 4 spares?)
LCD Tech: 1920x1080 TN Panel vs 1920x1200 LED Backlit S-IPS Panel
Weight:  ~8+lbs vs 6.6lbs

If you want to run OS X on the Asus, you have to buy SL at $169 (the $30 is only for Leopard upgrade), but it also gets you iWork and iLife.  Yes, it is a grey area because it does go against Apple's EULA.  However, this is not for the average person to undertake.  Most wouldn't have a clue as to what bootloaders, KEXTs, or anything necessary to get a Hackintosh up and running are.

These are just a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned, but honestly, to each there own to weigh.  I run a combination of real Macs and Hackintoshes.  I have been a Mac user since the SE/30, but have been heavily involved in PC's since around the same time.  It's all about Pro's and Con's, but come on!  Enough with the double the cost blah blah blah.  You really aren't comparing the same things here.  Different components, different manufacturers / processes, different support options, and different appeal.  Some are better on the Asus (ex. CPU, GPU, Dual HD), some on the Mac (ex. LCD Panel, Battery life, Case construction).

May 18, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #92 of 108
Oh, and I use AirFoil to transmit audio to whatever computer I want.  Only really use it for music.  Video can be done using their player that adds an auto 2 second delay to the video to sync with the audio, but too much of a hassle.

May 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #93 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtrip /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the derailed portion of this thread.

Asus vs Macbook Pro:
Battery Life: 2.5 vs 8.5 (sure Asus is removable, but going to carry around 4 spares?)
LCD Tech: 1920x1080 TN Panel vs 1920x1200 LED Backlit S-IPS Panel
Weight:  ~8+lbs vs 6.6lbs

If you want to run OS X on the Asus, you have to buy SL at $169 (the $30 is only for Leopard upgrade), but it also gets you iWork and iLife.  Yes, it is a grey area because it does go against Apple's EULA.  However, this is not for the average person to undertake.  Most wouldn't have a clue as to what bootloaders, KEXTs, or anything necessary to get a Hackintosh up and running are.

These are just a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned, but honestly, to each there own to weigh.  I run a combination of real Macs and Hackintoshes.  I have been a Mac user since the SE/30, but have been heavily involved in PC's since around the same time.  It's all about Pro's and Con's, but come on!  Enough with the double the cost blah blah blah.  You really aren't comparing the same things here.  Different components, different manufacturers / processes, different support options, and different appeal.  Some are better on the Asus (ex. CPU, GPU, Dual HD), some on the Mac (ex. LCD Panel, Battery life, Case construction).

The battery life example is totally invalid, seeing as the MBPs don't ACTUALLY get 8.5h, and you can get massive batteries + quick change batteries for the ASUS.

Hackintosh is actually much easier than you make it out to be, IF you do your research.  IE: Dell Mini 10v.  Retail disk, installs perfectly, all systems go.

I have too.  And I love Macs.  They're almost entirely the same components, and we are able to compare them apples to apples.  (IE: They both run similar yet different video cards.  Both mobile products, both running on similar chipsets.  Easily comparable.  Infact, another facet of this is that the ASUS runs a superior LGA1366 set, while the Mac runs a LGA1156.)

It shouldn't be different appeal, that's my point.  It's the Apple marketing that has you all by the short hairs, and shouldn't.  A better computer should be a better computer, not 'MY COMPUTER IS GOOD ENOUGH.'  That attitude is negative to the development of technology and society as a whole.

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #95 of 108

Quote:
I'm currently using Vox on mac for music, VLC for video, iTunes to rip to ALAC.

Thanks for pointing me to Vox - much more minimalist/nicer interface than iTunes/Play. Also the next version (according to the developer) is going to support automatic change of sample rate (like Amarra does without all the DSP bull) and a host of other audio improvements. That'll be version 0.2.8 (current version is 0.2.7)

May 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #96 of 108

Quote:
Draca said:

Thanks for pointing me to Vox - much more minimalist/nicer interface than iTunes/Play. Also the next version (according to the developer) is going to support automatic change of sample rate (like Amarra does without all the DSP bull) and a host of other audio improvements. That'll be version 0.2.8 (current version is 0.2.7)

Im looking forward to it.

May 19, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #97 of 108

Quote:
Back on topic anyone?

Believe me on this: They just don't care
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #98 of 108

Quote:

I like the look of Vox.  May need to give it a shot, especially on my Netbook where minimalism is necessary above all.  iTunes will still remain as my primary music player on my main machines for now, but I'm always up for trying something new.  Had never heard of Vox before now.

May 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #99 of 108
I'm quite surprised: Songbird even being a bit in its early stages of development is a great player. Very powerful and configurable, specially compared to itunes. It already has a lot of plugins and it supports nearly every known audio codec. Why is not popular among Mac users? If you already didn't, you should give it a try.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #100 of 108
Anyone else have experience with this? I am looking at this and fluke in order to play flacs on my mac. I know that I can convert them all to AAC with max, but want to keep them in flac if at all possible.

Quote:
I'm quite surprised: Songbird even being a bit in its early stages of development is a great player. Very powerful and configurable, specially compared to itunes. It already has a lot of plugins and it supports nearly every known audio codec. Why is not popular among Mac users? If you already didn't, you should give it a try.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #102 of 108

Quote:
Can anyone suggest any plugins for iTunes to make the experience more enjoyable/easier?

Quote:
I use iTunes.

Any Mac users that use iTunes might be interested in the following apps:
GimmeSomeTune
DesktopLyrics

GimmeSomeTune does a couple things:
  • adds a play/pause/forward/back icon to the menu bar
  • displays small pop-up in the bottom part of teh screen when a new song starts informing you of the song/artist/album
  • checks the info file for that song to see if the lyrics are added.  if not, it automatically downloads and fills it in

DesktopLyrics - the name says it all.  It displays the lyrics to the song (the lyrics in the info of teh song that is).

Therefore, with these two apps combined, the desktop should always display the lyrics to your current song.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #104 of 108
Haha reading back over this topic and seeing my posts was a bit embarrassing. It's clear I had no real idea what I was talking about... :wink:

I now have my MacBook Pro 15" and am extremely happy with it :)
I've succumbed to iTunes with Fluke to play all my FLACs and it's ok. I had gotten so used to JRMC everything thing seems a step down but that's just me, I suppose in reality it's just different.

The only problem so far is I don't seem to have any ratings nor can I add album artwork to my "FLACs" which is quite distressing. Has anyone been able to overcome these problems?

I just downloaded Vox, it’s not a iTunes replacement by any means but still a nifty little player. With native FLAC support, it gets my tick of approval.

Can anyone suggest any plugins for iTunes to make the experience more enjoyable/easier?
So far I have Fluke, iTunes Menu, You Control Tunes and InsomniaX so I can shut the lid and let it play.

Also can anyone recommend a tool to allow me to sync non Apple DAPs with iTunes? I currently have SyncTunes installed but I'm wondering if there's better.

I'm yet to re-organize my library on iTunes but when I do I want it to be as easy as possible, and if a plugin can help I'd rather find out about it now and not later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back