Mac users, a question
Jul 15, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Sorenson 3 looks better than MPEG-4 and it takes up less space! The original H.264 file is 1.2gb, MPEG-4 is 300mb, Sorenson 3 is 200mb! Can I keep this quality level and get the file any smaller?

YEP!!!
icon10.gif
Another reason why I like sorenson.....Apple's implementation of MPEG-4 sucks compared to it. Microsofts is actually better IMO....as a side note, if you were to make an Apple MPEG-4 and compared it to a Windows MPEG-4, the Apple one would be much larger and not much better quality wise.

There are several ways to get better compression. The easiest is to get a dedicated program that compresses video (like Autodesk's Media Cleaner). But those cost money. You could resize the video, try different interlacing techniques (some aren't that bad really), but the first thing to do would be to mess with your compression settings. I have limited experience with iMovie, so I couldn't tell you about the controls. But somewhere it must let you adjust the video settings for the codec. Just render out a few in different settings and see what it does!

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #17 of 19
Why not just use something like x264 and send it the uncompressed video and get back something that will play in any OS? H.264 shouldn't be giving such a large discrepancy in file size, it may be using a very high bit rate as opposed to the others.

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #18 of 19
Sorenson is king for easy cross-platform .movs and has good quality to
boot. If you want the best quality and a quicktime movie that
has a very good chance of being cross-platform happy. Looks great and is much
smaller than an uncompressed file. Use photo jpg at a setting of about 90,
Its a great way to encode video when you are concerned about
quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back