Mac OSX/Schiit Modi/USB3.0
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johnnyb3

New Head-Fier
Hi, everyone,

I am sorry to be posting this, because I'm sure this wisdom is recorded somewhere here or elsewhere, but believe me, I've looked.

I have an iMac (2014) and trying to use a first-gen Schiit Modi DAC with it. At first it would usually work, though sometimes the DAC would not show up as an audio option under System Preferences nor as a USB device under Hardware. I got a powered USB hub and that seemed to take care of the problem -- for a while. For the last several months, however, it hasn't shown up at all. Any ideas at all, or am I just Schiit out of luck here? The Mac and hub are both USB3.0.

Thanks.

John

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Seems it should work. I would contact Schiit. Have you tried a different cable? Or bypassed the hub?

Thank you for the reply! I should have mentioned all this. Yes, I swapped out the cable for one that's working on a printer. It doesn't work with the hub bypassed either, which is not surprising, since without the hub I was having trouble before (but I still tried it).

I contacted Schiit, who pointed me to the FAQ page (which I had already found and did everything it suggested, including buying the powered hub -- something about Mac USB ports not reliably supplying enough current) and said that I was welcome to send the unit to them for diagnosis and possible repair -- which seems like throwing good money after bad at this point.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 4
I actually resolved the issue, but I just wanted to follow up in case anybody else encounters a similar problem: I borrowed a (non-powered) USB 2.0 hub and connected

Mac -> powered 3.0 hub -> 2.0 hub -> Modi

Now the Mac recognizes the Modi and everything is working as designed.

Thanks for reading,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back