Mac OS X questions - how to make back ups of CDs?
Dec 4, 2003 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shafu

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got an apple powerbook for the family, but can't seem to figure out how to copy an audio cd (for personal purposes only! - want to use a copy in the car without worrying about it getting scratched). Do I need to buy another program? Disc Copy doesn't seem to work...

Dec 4, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 11
Use iTunes. Extract the cd to your HD and burn it from there.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Dec 4, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Disk Copy should work fine. (I'm assuming you're still in Jaguar if you're using Disk Copy.)

Put the CD in the drive, and in Disk Copy choose New Image from Device from the menus. Select the CD drive as the device, and save the image. For the image format choose CD/DVD Master with no encryption.

After you make the image, use Burn Image in Disk Copy. Insert a blank CD and you're done.

biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Disk Copy should work fine. (I'm assuming you're still in Jaguar if you're using Disk Copy.)

Put the CD in the drive, and in Disk Copy choose New Image from Device from the menus. Select the CD drive as the device, and save the image. For the image format choose CD/DVD Master with no encryption.

After you make the image, use Burn Image in Disk Copy. Insert a blank CD and you're done.

biggrin.gif

I've tried that, but for some reason, when I burned the image, it wouldn't play in my CD player. I guess it could be copy protected?

Dec 4, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't think Disc Copy would work.. I think the reason why it won't play is because you just created a DATA cd with AIFF files on it. I tried this method, and it didn't work for me either... I couldn't find any way to get it to make an audio disk image.

I personally only use Toast to make copies of CDs.

The only other option (that i'm aware of) is to rip AIFF files then letting iTunes re-convert it into CD audio and burn it to disc.

Dec 4, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 11
Are you *sure* that when you choose New Image from Device, you're actually choosing the drive? Many people make the mistake of choosing the mounted CD from the list; instead, choose the drive itself, one level up.

Dec 4, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
I don't think Disc Copy would work.. I think the reason why it won't play is because you just created a DATA cd with AIFF files on it. I tried this method, and it didn't work for me either... I couldn't find any way to get it to make an audio disk image.

Fiddler is right, disk copy does not work. (See all the junk CD's in my trash can)
Use iTunes, but make sure to change the importing preferences to AIFF so you get a full strength copy.

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Are you *sure* that when you choose New Image from Device, you're actually choosing the drive? Many people make the mistake of choosing the mounted CD from the list; instead, choose the drive itself, one level up.

I've tried choosing new image from Device, but it's only giving me the hard drive as an option (the CD drive is grayed out).

Dec 4, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Huh, you're right. I just tried it this morning and it doesn't work. Which is odd because I'm 100% sure it *used* to work. I wonder which update "fixed" it.

OK, use iTunes
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler

I personally only use Toast to make copies of CDs.

The only other option (that i'm aware of) is to rip AIFF files then letting iTunes re-convert it into CD audio and burn it to disc.

Does Toast allow for DVD copying as well?

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Huh, you're right. I just tried it this morning and it doesn't work. Which is odd because I'm 100% sure it *used* to work. I wonder which update "fixed" it.

You're right. It used to work that way!

I use Toast. It will make perfect copies/images of audio and data CDs all day long. Not cheap though.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back